Why Study in Seville?
Seville is a city that perhaps captures the intrigue and wonder of southern Spain. The city is an invitation for exploration and satisfaction. Add to its inherent beauty and stunning personality a study abroad program, and you’ve got a feast for the mind, body, and soul. Why not study in Seville? It’s likely to be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
What is the Structure of a Study Abroad Program in Seville?
To meet the needs of a variety of types of students, study abroad programs vary greatly. However, we can give you a sense of some of the options for programs in terms of type, duration, and subject matter.
First, Seville study abroad programs may exist for high school, undergraduate, graduate, and gap-year students. Any of these types of programs might last for one week (over spring break, for example), a month or two (over the summer, for example), one semester, or one year. There might be other options for students whose schedules don’t fit within these parameters.
Second, Seville study abroad programs might exist for students studying a variety of subjects across disciplines. Accounting, cultural studies, geography, political science, and tourism are just some of many. To determine what programs exist in your area of interest, use our search tool to browse your options by specialty. As you do, keep in mind that a program might enrich your major, minor, or general education studies. If you intend to transfer the credits from your study abroad program to your degree program, talk to an academic advisor at your home school to confirm that they will.
Third, in addition to an academic component, study abroad programs in Seville might include an intensive language or homestay option, or provide opportunities to engage in cultural excursions or travel to multiple cities or countries. Options like these may help you engage in a program that truly meets your needs and desires.
You can begin your search by browsing our featured programs on this page, or you can refine your search according to your needs using our search tool. When you find a program (or more) that you like, contact them directly through our website.
What Might Life Be Like in Seville, Spain?
Seville, called Sevilla by the locals, is in southwestern Spain. It’s a metropolitan city and the fourth largest city in Spain.[i] While many of Seville’s amenities and infrastructure are modern, much of the city comprises a collection of old but treasured sights and landmarks. Its old city alone has three UNESCO World Heritage Sites: the Alcázar palace complex, the Seville Cathedral, and the General Archive of the Indies. The rest of Seville, which has a unique set of Spanish, Moorish, and Catalan roots, embraces design and culture from a variety of eras and influences. Seville could be a fascinating city to explore and enjoy.
Things to Do in Seville:
- Take a day or more to wander through the old city (Old Seville). In addition to the World Heritage Sites we mentioned above, you’ll find treasured places such as the Archbishop’s Palace, the Church of Santa Cruz, and the Hospital de los Venerables. The bright colors, architecture, and history of these and other places will likely delight you. You might also enjoy exploring the old town’s gardens, parks, and squares.
- Find Flamenco. Watch a show, take a class, or simply jump in. Flamenco, while known worldwide, actually originated in Andalucía, Spain, the autonomous community of which Seville is the capital. Enjoy this colorful, vivacious, spirited dance.
- Walk through Barrio Santa Cruz and along the Sierpes. Barrio Santa Cruz is a neighborhood breathing historic and cultural significance, and Sierpes is one of Seville main shopping districts. While you’re near Sierpes, or north of La Giralda, you might also enjoy seeing la Plaza Salvador and its pink brick and marble church.
- Grab your camera and walk. Spend a day exploring Seville and capturing its beauty. Whether you’re walking along the Guadalquivir River, witnessing the Metropol Parasol (a stunning wooden structure that provides ambiance to farmer’s markets, restaurants, and an archeological museum), or the Plaza de España (complete with a neo-Moorish building, mosaic art, a canal, fountains, and foot-bridges), you’re likely to be inspired, intrigued, and infused.
- Enjoy Seville’s cuisine. Try paella, tortilla Española (a dish made of eggs, surprisingly, and not a tortilla you’d find in Mexico), jamón serrano (famous throughout Spain), and churros. Drink cafés con leches and eat sugary cakes and other baked goods. Partake in siesta-oriented snacks and duck into historic bars for tapas. Let yourself have a little fun with Seville cuisine.
These are just some of the many things you might do in Seville. Whether you’re there for a short or long amount of time, choosing to study in Seville can turn an ordinary vacation into an opportunity to learn about a community, city, and culture. Best of all, while you’re enjoying all that Seville has to offer, you can pursue academic credit and expand yourself as a global citizen.
What Are My Next Steps for Studying Abroad in Seville?
If you’re ready to study in Seville, begin your journey by exploring your program options on our page. You can browse our featured programs or refine your search to fit your parameters. Once you find a program you like, contact it directly through our website for more information, to ask questions, and to register. It’s that simple! Sevilla might provide the perfect opportunity.We wish you luck as you embark on your journey to Sevilla.