- Cadiz, Spain; Granada, Spain; Sevilla, Spain; Salamanca, Spain; Barcelona, Spain; Madrid, Spain; Bilbao, Spain
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester, Summer
- Program Description:
API offers those who want to study abroad in Spain a variety of programs in seven different locations, spanning the country regionally, culturally, and linguistically (Barcelona, Bilbao, Cádiz, Granada, Madrid, Salamanca, and Seville). Most locations offer courses in Spanish in a variety of disciplines such as Hispanic and cultural studies, business, and communications, as well as honors courses and direct enrollment with Spanish students. Spanish courses are taught at all levels, from the beginning to the bilingual level. Internships (for credit and not for credit) are available in Bilbao, Granada, Madrid, Salamanca, and Seville. API also offers liberal arts and business programs that feature courses in English. Semester, quarter, summer, academic year, and intensive two-week, three-week, and month-long programs are available in most locations.
If you are coming to Spain for the first time, be warned: this is a country that fast becomes an addiction. You’ll be hooked by the celebration of some local fiesta, or the amazing nightlife in Madrid, by the Moorish monuments of Andalucía, by Basque cooking or the wild landscapes and birds of prey of Extremadura. And by then, of course, you will have noticed that there is not just one Spain but many. Indeed, Spaniards often speak of Las Españas (the Spains) and they even talk of the capital in the plural – Los Madriles, the Madrids.
This regionalism is an obsession, and perhaps the most significant change to the country over recent decades has been the creation of seventeen autonomías – autonomous regions – with their own governments, budgets, and cultural ministries. The old days of a unified nation, governed with a firm hand from Madrid, seem to have gone forever, as the separate kingdoms that made up the original Spanish state reassert themselves. And the differences are evident wherever you look: in language, culture and artistic traditions, in landscapes and cityscapes, attitudes and politics.
- Setting Description:
- API offers programs in seven locations across Spain: Barcelona, Bilbao, Cádiz, Granada, Madrid, Salamanca, and Seville. Barcelona is a very cosmopolitan city that combines the latest trends with the most typical Spanish traditions. Bilbao is at the heart of Basque education, business, culture, and fine art. Cádiz, the oldest city in both Spain and Europe, is known for its charm, great seafood, relaxed atmosphere, clean air and warm southern Spanish hospitality. Granada, overlooked by the Sierra Nevada Mountains, is a mixture of natural beauty and inviting climate, Moorish art and architecture, and cultural flare gleaned from its strong Romani heritage. Madrid is the contemporary capital of Spanish culture, finance, and industry. Salamanca is considered one of the most spectacular Renaissance cities in Europe. Finally, Seville, the capital of Andalusia and Spain’s 4th largest city, is rich in history and tradition.
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, Learning and Engagement Badge Program and more!
Additional Program Information
- Please see API website
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program