API was founded in 1997 by four women dedicated to providing high-quality, affordable study abroad programs for U.S. students. Their diverse experiences abroad, first as students and later as professionals, shaped their philosophy on the value of international education as a means of promoting intellectual curiosity, cultural sensitivity, and holistic personal development. API firmly believes that extensive pre-departure preparation, coupled with strong support services on-site, facilitates academic, cultural and linguistic learning. Within the supportive environment of the API programs, API students are encouraged to explore their host communities and become increasingly independent and confident in their own abilities. API also believes that study abroad should be an activity that is accessible to as many students as possible, and in that vein, seeks to include as many components in the program price as possible for students at a low cost.
API programs offer U.S. college and university students the opportunity to earn college credit toward their degree programs in the U.S. by completing coursework in a wide variety of disciplines, including such fields as business, the social sciences, medical studies and the arts. In combination with its academic offerings, API strives to maximize each student's potential for personal growth through well-designed orientation programs, extensive cultural and social outings, carefully selected housing options, and a variety of excursions. API takes student safety seriously and provides extensive safety information, medical and evacuation insurance, and 24-hour emergency access to directors on site to ensure that students stay healthy and happy abroad.
API has grown rapidly since its founding nearly 20 years ago. We now send more than 4,000 students and participants abroad annually to over 50 cities within twenty-nine countries in Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America, the Middle East and Oceania. Our success is owed in large part to the dedication of our staff, both stateside and abroad, and the strong relationships we have cultivated with partner universities. We strive to provide individual attention to every participant and attract students from colleges and universities across the United States, public and private, large and small.
- APIThe Free Elective program at ELISAVA Barcelona School of Design and Engineering offers students with or without a background in design the opportunity to learn from among the top design minds in Catalonia and Spain.
- APIStudents who are looking to study abroad in Barcelona over the summer and take business and international studies courses in English at an elite academic institution are good candidates for this program.
- APITake a gap year while studying the Italian language and culture in the Eternal City! API Gap Year offers two semester- and year-long gap programs in Rome, Italy. Both programs allow students to study Italian while earning college credits abroad.
- APITake a gap year in Buenos Aires, the "Paris of Latin America!" API Gap Year offers two gap year programs at the University of Belgrano in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- APIAPI students have the opportunity to explore the biodiversity of Costa Rica while improving their Spanish language skills. Through coursework and extensive field trips, students will experience the remarkable biodiversity and beauty of Costa Rica.
- APIAPI Gap Year offers two different semester- or year-long gap programs in France: students may choose to study in cosmopolitan Paris, or the charming Alpine city of Grenoble.
- APISpend your gap year on the Emerald Isle! API Gap Year offers year- and semester-long programs in two locations within Ireland: Cork and Dublin as well an internship opportunity in Dublin.
- APITake a gap year in Spain! API Gap Year offers year- and semester-long gap programs in four locations within Spain: Barcelona, Madrid, Salamanca, and Seville. Intern abroad for 8-weeks in Seville!
- APIExplore the pillars of Italian culture through the lens of a camera or through sketches coming alive off of a sketchbook. Students will explore Italian tradition and culture though afternoon activities and thoroughly delve into Italian art and history.
- APIThe Costa Rica community service trip is a two-week program intended to introduce students to the local communities and diverse natural environment of Costa Rica.