community development programs, Orphanage Support & Education development are the core activities that the organization is engaged in to develop local skills base. Volunteers are able to support a growing orphanage, work in a community centre located in M
- Mombasa, Kenya; Nairobi, Kenya; Kisumu, Kenya
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, MayMester Intersession, Summer, Year Round
- Program Description:
- Kenya lies along the equator on the eastern coast of Africa, which borders Somalia and the Indian Ocean to the east, Ethiopia to the north, Sudan to the northwest, Uganda to the west and Tanzania to the south. The country has incredible topographical diversity, including mountains with snow-capped peaks, the Rift Valley with its scarps and volcanoes, flat desert landscapes and coral reefs and islets on the Indian Ocean coast. When most people think of Kenya, they think of world famous wilderness reserves and safari vacations – but there is so much more. Kenya is home to over 43 different ethnic tribes, all with their own languages, cultures and customs. Regarded by many as the 'jewel of East Africa', Kenya also has some of Africa’s best beaches, scenic countryside and a sophisticated tourist infrastructure. 10% of the land is designated as national parks and reserves and the wildlife sightings are one of a kind.
community development programs, Orphanage Support & Education development are the core activities that the organization is engaged in to develop local skills base. Volunteers are able to support a growing orphanage, work in a community centre located in Mombasa or in any other part of the country. The orphanage is home to over 30 children who live together as a family and acquire education at the center. Most of these children are rescued from the streets of Mombasa, or have lost their parents to HIV/AIDS. The children are provided a comfortable home, food and education by the orphanage director and his staff.
No qualifications necessary - just a good dose of enthusiasm! What you'll gain from doing this Project: An exciting, never-to-be-forgotten adventure into the Kenyan culture. The enormous satisfaction of helping disadvantaged children and knowing that you made a difference to them. New skills, more confidence, a greater understanding of a different culture, invaluable personal and professional development. An entry on your CV that will put you head and shoulders above most others in the job market Inner self discovery as you serve the local community And best of all ... an unforgettable experience!
- Setting Description:
- Teaching / Education volunteer in a locally run school, in Mombasa. The children are ages 5yrs-13yrs and provided free education at a children’s center. The school serves hundreds of local children from the surrounding communities. Volunteers support the local teachers with English and math classes; encourage students to learn and play and instill pride in their schooling. Volunteers can assist with the physical upkeep of the school; painting, decorating, mending desks etc. Prior teaching experience is not required; volunteer simply need an open mind, caring spirit and a compassionate nature. The project focuses on providing culturally sensitive methods of awareness and education with the goal of enhancing community awareness on issues related to children rights, preventing transmission of HIV and seeks to offer assistance and encouragement to those infected with the virus. Some of the activities for volunteers include: Promoting safer sex through education, woman empowerment projects
- USD100 per week of placement The program fee includes Accommodation, Food, Airport Pickup, project placement, Full in-country orientation support, Local in-country team, 24-hr emergency support, project donation, supervision and evaluation, certificate and recommendation letter at the end of the service.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program