Kipepeo Community Empowerment Program is a community-based organization in the Emuhaya district of Vihiga County Western Kenya, started in October 2009 with the goal of spearheading community-driven development initiatives to empower needy people in the l
- Kisumu, Kenya; Nanyuki, Kenya
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- High School
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, MayMester Intersession, Spring Break, Spring Semester, Summer, Winter Semester, Year Round
- Program Description:
- Youth led initiatives have gained importance in the Kenyan society by enhancing the involvement of the youth in the development process at the same time utilizing the skills and energies of young people towards making the society a better place. The focus of youth led initiatives range in a wider range from rehabilitation to education, from environmental sustainability to economic development, from enterprise development to skills development. Hence the involvement of volunteers offers an opportunity to develop the potential of the youth he the realization of sustainable development
Kipepeo Community Empowerment Program is a community-based organization in the Emuhaya district of Vihiga County Western Kenya, started in October 2009 with the goal of spearheading community-driven development initiatives to empower needy people in the local villages. KCEP does this by providing services and assistance for the right livelihood of various groups in need of support through programs such as HIV/AIDS health care & education, capacity-building, organic farming projects, art and clay works, computer services, Eco-tourism & environmental protection, community managed microfinance, entrepreneurship development, street kids, orphans and vulnerable children support. Vision: Improved quality Livelihood for orphans, street children and a Health, Empowered and self-sustainable community Mission: To support orphans, vulnerable children and street children through a rehabilitation centre and basic necessities and facilitate needy community groups to participate in integrated activities to achieve quality livelihood.
Volunteers joining this project will be involved in any of the following activities that are done with the organization. All these projects are located within a walking distance from the KCEP office hence volunteers will have the opportunity to experience most of them. Primary school teaching Youth empowerment activities Business classes Orphan support activities Street kids rehabilitation
- Setting Description:
- Kima is a small market in Emuhaya district, Western Kenya with about 5000 people living here. Kima is a word in Swahili meaning "Monkey". Early before Kima was a place with many trees and it was an attraction for monkeys. In Kima we have houses (caves) from a stone which the ausesters used to live in after migrating from Congo. Luhya is the tribe of the people in Kima and a sub tribe called Bangore. Kima is located on the Majengo-Luanda road, off the Kisumu-Busia road.
- Minimum placement duration is 2 weeks - USD220 after which USD90 per week of placement which covers: airport pick up, orientation, project placement, support during placement, accommodation, meals, project support, evaluation, certificate of participation, administrative costs
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program