- Heredia, Costa Rica
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester, Summer
- Program Description:
*Due to the global health status worldwide, USAC is making programmatic changes to 2021, 2022. and 2023 programs and some options might not be available. These changes are posted on individual program pages on the USAC website.
The Heredia Program is ideal for students who are committed to learning the Spanish language and the diverse cultures of Latin America. Through formal coursework and personal interaction with the host culture, you will greatly expand your language skills and knowledge of Costa Rican society. Heredia, located just outside San Jose, offers the excitement of living near a capital city but with a more calm and relaxed atmosphere. Costa Rica as a whole is well known for its extraordinary natural beauty- preserved in its many national parks and reserves- which you will have the opportunity to discover firsthand.
The Heredia program offers three diverse academic areas: Spanish Language, Ecological Studies, and Latin American Studies. The intensive language approach allows you to complete up to two years of university foreign language coursework in only one semester to meet Spanish minor or major requirements. You may choose to stay for one semester or a full year and complement your language curriculum by taking courses in literature, political science, economics, history, art history, biology, ecology, and dance.
Program costs include tuition and fees, health insurance, student orientation, and entry to some museums and cultural events.
- Setting Description:
- Heredia is a colonial city nestled in the foothills above San Jose, the capital of Costa Rica. Universidad Nacional de Costa Rica, where USAC courses are held, is situated only a few blocks from downtown Heredia. The city is surrounded by coffee plantations and ranches and is one of the gateways to the majestic Poas Volcano. The climate is temperate, with average yearround temperatures of 70-80 degrees. Only 12 kilometers from the international airport and 25 minutes by bus from downtown San Jose and its one million inhabitants, Heredia offers the peace and rural beauty of a smaller city, while providing easy access to the activities of the capital. There is always something to do in Heredia!
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- Learn more about USAC scholarships and discounts at https://usac.edu/money-matters
Based on 1 Reviews
- Summer to Remember in Costa Rica10/29/18
The USAC program in Heredia was unforgettable! The students, the staff, and the families were all good. It was my first time out of the United States and USAC made the transition easy while still giving me great exposure to the country and its people.
Costa Rica also offers so many activities outside of class and it's so easy to travel. It's a great place to go if you enjoy doing things outdoors. Pura vida!read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend