- Pau, France
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester, Summer
- Program Description:
The Pau program offers a unique opportunity to study the French language intensively, take courses in other disciplines and to experience student life and culture at a French university. Pau is the perfect environment if you are looking to immerse yourself into traditional French culture while enjoying an active student culture as well. The city is one of the most breathtakingly beautiful regions in France- the most visited country in the world- with parks and mountains surrounding the campus and city. The city is small enough to have everything within walking or biking distance; however it's large enough to have several theaters, student clubs, outdoor cafes, and fantastic shops.
The Pau program offers an intensive language approach that allows you to complete up to one and a half years of university language coursework in one semester. Additional courses in subjects such as literature, political science, film, culture, and art history are offered and taught in English or French, depending on the semester. The program allows for students to enroll in integrated courses with other international student studying at the University of Pau, as well as with other USAC students.
Program fees include tuition, orientation, one group dinner, guidebook of region, field trips and health insurance.
- Setting Description:
- Located in the Bearn region of the Atlantic Pyrenees in southwestern France, Pau is a picturesque town. It offers spectacular scenery and a temperate climate year-round with easy access to both the Pyrenees Mountains and the Atlantic coast, and is only two hours away from Spain. The city lies roughly one hour from the beaches of Biarritz, 45 minutes from the Ski resorts of Gourette and Artouste, and 30 minutes from Lourdes. Pau, well-known for its beautiful parks, has more square meters of green space per inhabitant than any other European city. Many of the streets in the charming city center are pedestrianized.
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- Learn more about USAC scholarships and discounts at https://usac.edu/money-matters
Based on 1 Reviews
- Cute and cozy town with a run down university11/13/19
I had the wonderful experience of studying in Pau, France. This city may be small but it is full of many things to do and see! From the Boulevard de Pyrenees, white water rafting, the Tour de France tribute, city center which holds many concerts, festivals,
markets, and more, along with being perfectly situated right next to Spain and many popular tourist areas in the south of France! I can proudly say my French has improved greatly since I first arrived on campus, but I do have to admit that the campus is very old and is very behind technology wise. Although the city of Pau is quite beautiful with its palm trees and stone walkways, the campus is full of weeds and the buildings are old and don't even have air conditioning or fans (which I learned is the case in most buildings and homes in France!). Also, I was put under the impression that no one in Pau speaks English, which is far from the truth. Almost every single person I talked to knew at least a few words in English and could get by with it if you were confused. On another note, I am an avid hiker and was also told that Pau is very close to the Pyrenees. Although Pau may be an hour's drive from the nearest point of the Mountains, this is only by car. Only being able to use public transportation, it is pretty much impossible to get to the mountains by yourself. I am happy to say that the university offers a hiking course that I was able to sign up for that drove students to the mountains for about a 15 euro fee. At the end of the day, Pau is a great place to spend your time studying abroad and being put into a French atmosphere with friendly people!read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend