- Sydney, Australia; Wellington, New Zealand
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- MayMester Intersession
- Program Description:
- Visit two worlds in one program! The Australia portion of the program includes Sydney, considered one of the world’s best places to live and play, the Great Barrier Reef, the vast expanse of the Outback, the modern and sophisticated city of Brisbane and the surfing beach town of Noosa.
The second half of the program is spent on the South Island of New Zealand, where the kiwi image of 100% Pure, Clean, and Green is arguably most evident. Known as the adventure capital of the Southern Hemisphere, there are mountains rising 14,000 feet out of the sea, the largest fiords in the world, rainforests, massive glaciers carving their way to the ocean, thermal hotsprings, and volcanoes.
This program focuses on sustainable development with electives in natural history, animal behavior, or business sustainability in both Australia and New Zealand. The program is open to all students from UGA and from other institutions (non-UGA students pay in-state tuition), and no prior knowledge is assumed.
Program cost includes all accommodations, field excursions, cultural events, insurance, in-country ground transportation, and many meals. Tuition (HOPE applies and out-of-state or non-UGA students pay in-state tuition) and airfare (optional group rate, departing and returning to Los Angeles, available below) are additional.The major international carriers permit a lay-over in Fiji or Tahiti on the return flight to the U.S. typically for minimal extra cost.
- Setting Description:
- The following sites and activities are included in the program: Snorkel (or dive) the Great Barrier Reef, hike Carnarvon Gorge and get up close with some of Australia’s unique wildlife, and several days in the cities of Sydney and Brisbane. In New Zealand you will have the opportunity to hike Aoraki/Mount Cook National Park, visit a traditional sheep farm in the high country, cruise Fiordland National Park, stay in the remote and beautiful Doubtful Sound, visit the capital of extreme/adventure sports in Queenstown, and swim with wild dolphins in Kaikoura. There is a strong cultural emphasis throughout both program, exploring the historical and contemporary lives of the indigenous peoples of Australia (the Aborigine) and New Zealand (Maori).
- $2,995 Includes all accommodations, in-country ground transportation, all field activities and majority of meals.
Based on 2 Reviews
- Australia and New Zealand Maymester01/19/15
I chose Discover Abroad's Australia and New Zealand program because I wanted to go on an adventure! I wanted the opportunity to travel to a part of the world that I would normally not have the opportunity to visit. I researched other programs, but found
Discover Abroad provided the most detailed itinerary with the greatest opportunity for diverse travel, credit hours, and new experiences. It was evident the program leaders really researched the locations and made connections with the locals when planning our activities. It was also very affordable. I made wonderful new friends on this trip and have the best memories. I wish I could go back!read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend
- Discover Abroad AU/NZ Maymester01/13/15This was the most amazing experience of my life and so affordable compared to other programs that I found. I would go on 10 more programs with Discover Abroad if I could!Bottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend