- Nakuru, Kenya
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
Explore Kenya’s world-famous national parks and reserves while learning about wildlife conservation issues and seeing Africa’s charismatic creatures up close – from colossal elephants to the endangered black rhinoceros. Here, in the heart of the Great Rift Valley, climate change and the availability of natural resources are affecting Kenya’s ecosystems and those living in them. Spend your semester studying the root causes of these changes and how different strategies for sustainability and conservation can benefit local people and wildlife alike.
- On a multi-day camping trip, explore Amboseli National Park – widely regarded as the best place in the world to get close to free-ranging elephants.
- Spend two weeks in Tanzania, with expeditions to Serengeti National Park, Tarangire and Lake Manyara National Parks, and the Ngorongoro Conservation Area.
- Take part in a homestay with a local Maasai family and learn about their culture, history, daily life, and relationship with nature.
SFS students live and study at the Center for Water and Wildlife Studies. The Center, known locally as Kilimanjaro Bush Camp, lies in the heart of Kenya’s Rift Valley, between three world-famous national parks. The snow-capped peak of Mt. Kilimanjaro towers over miles of savanna, replete with a diversity of wildlife. Our sprawling, grassy campus includes traditional thatched bandas (cabins) and a central chumba (main building), just down the road from the small town of Kimana.
- 22400 USD. Includes room and board, activities, ground transportation, and courses. Does not include airfare.
Additional Program Information
- 18 years of age; One semester of college-level ecology, biology or environmental science/studies; 2.8 GPA
- Scholarships Description:
- SFS awards more than $650,000 in need-based financial aid each year. Aid packages are usually a combination of scholarships, grants, and loans. All students are eligible to apply for SFS need-based financial aid.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program