- Brussels, Belgium
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year
- Program Description:
Want to become a part of one of the oldest LLM programs around, offering 95% employability and a 1,200+ strong alumni network from 108 nationalities? Then the LLM in International and European Law, an English-language programme at the VUB’s Institute for European Studies (IES) may well be what you’re looking for! In a June 2016 survey, Study International named the IES among the 5 leading European law schools.
This LLM in International and European law introduces students to the methodology, institutions and doctrines of different legal systems, by analysing the manner in which these systems approach and resolve concrete problems. Emphasis is placed on the European integration phenomenon. The LLM is designed to stimulate a comparative dialogue, giving valuable insight into the operation of the various legal systems governing the specific areas discussed in a series of compulsory seminars. At the end of the academic year, successful students are awarded the title of Master of Laws in International and European Law (LLM). The programme emphasises the need for continuing contact between the world's major legal systems, and its Brussels location means students are brought face to face with both the theory and practice of the work of the principal institutions of the European Communities and other international organisations.
The LLM offers a unique mixture of European and international public and business law in the following fields: • Institutional Law and Judicial Protection • Economic and Competition Law • External Relations • Sustainable development and the Environment • Human Rights • Criminal Law • Taxation • Comparative Law The LLM course is composed of compulsory courses and two specialisation options: Public Law or Business Law.
Each year the LLM International and European Law offers 40 international postgraduate students a demanding and versatile curriculum that opens exciting career paths in European and international legal affairs. The programme has, for 45 years, been successful in combining academic rigour with the latest practical insights and cultural diversity. International audits and the leading positions of its graduates in various international organisations attest to the programme's excellence.
- Setting Description:
- The home of the program is at the Institute for European Studies (IES). The IES was named by Study International as one of the 5 leading European law schools (June 2016): http://bit.ly/2jvFYAh The IES is a thriving Jean Monnet Center of Excellence in European Studies, located from February 2011 onwards in brand new facilities at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB). The lES boasts excellent teaching facilities and a modern working space, right next to the amenities of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) Etterbeek campus.
- 5400 EUR. Study materials cost is approx. 500 EUR
Additional Program Information
- To qualify for admission you need to have: • a law degree (J.D., LLM or equivalent) that entitles you to practise law in your country of origin; • excellent academic results and references; • proven proficiency in English. More info: https://www.llminbrussels.eu/faq/
- Scholarships Description:
- The Program offers a limited number of scholarships that take the form of partial tuition waivers. These waivers are awarded on the basis of a separate request submitted as a part of your application. They are awarded upon an assessment of merit and need.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program