- Seoul, Korea
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- High School
- Program Description:
Begin your journey through South Korea’s past and present with peacebuilding workshops and cultural immersion in Seoul, a leading and modern global city. Hands-on workshops will broaden your understanding of conflict analysis and introduce skills for peace advocacy in any community. Learn some new moves during a K-pop dance class in the breakdancing capital of the world.
Travel to diverse regions to gain new perspectives on typical life in South Korea as you explore topics of peace and development. Interact with Korean youth to discuss peace on the peninsula and learn about youth culture and perspectives, from daily life to Reunification. Engage with local activists and develop peace sensitivity while sharing your thoughts with your peers and local students. You will deepen your knowledge of Korea’s socio-political development by visiting places of great historical importance such as the 14th-century royal palaces of the Joseon Dynasty, the War Memorial and National Museum in Seoul, and the Dorasan Station and observatory in the DMZ. Take basic Korean language classes and, throughout the program, immerse yourself in contemporary life and K-culture. Go from modern to ancient as you spend the night in a Buddhist temple where you will learn about religious traditions and the art of meditation alongside Buddhist monks.
Experience daily life with a Korean family during your homestay and experience the joy of trying out different flavor combinations during dinner, which can be something of a feast. Complete a community service project alongside Korean students. Return to Seoul to visit cultural sites such as Seoul Tower, enjoy a traditional theater performance, and reflect on your journey with your group.
- Setting Description:
- Throughout the program, you are immersed in South Korean contemporary life and culture. Following the multiday orientation in Seoul—the country’s political, economic, and cultural center—live with a Korean host family in Jeonju, participating in their daily activities. Learn about religious traditions and the art of meditation alongside Buddhist monks during the program’s temple stay. Near the end of the program, experience the beautiful landscapes, coastal towns, and national parks of mountainous Gangwon province during an exploration of the country’s northeast.
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- For summer 2020, we will offer merit-based partial scholarships to students who live in the Florida Keys, the Houston, TX metro area, the Seattle, WA metro area, and the Washington, DC metro area. Email email@example.com for more information.
Based on 3 Reviews
- Great Experience10/01/19I will never forget this amazing trip. From wearing traditional clothes to dancing modern K-pop. I am so glad I was able to participate, and am now looking for more opportunities to learn and better myself.Bottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend
- Wonderful Time09/01/18
The South Korea program was such an exciting trip and experience. The culture in the country is something I have never experienced. To learn about how this small country went from being so poor to now thriving and a technologically advanced was mind
blowing. The trip showed me that old traditions and new modern trends can come together beautifully. The Korea trip is in the summer so it gets quiet hot so i recommend packing light clothes and keeping water on you at all times. It was supposed to be their rainy season but it barely rained. Coming home from the trip I hope to tell my experience to whoever will listen in hope to spread the idea that there is a whole world out there beside our country worth learning about.read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend
- An Unforgettable Experience08/31/17
My experience in Korea over this summer was just a magnificent experience. This program was filled with amazing peers, great leaders, and an incredibly humorous in-country leader. Each stay was so unique in its own way, so that we were able to experience
all aspects of Korean culture. From visiting the Blue House Museum, to the Demilitarized Zone, to a Buddhist temple stay, each experience was immersive and spectacular. Although some accommodations required us to sleep on the floors, it was completely bearable, and somewhat easy to get used to. Overall, the accommodations were wonderful, and all of the owners were incredibly kind and welcoming. To top it off, the food was always wonderful. There wasn't a day where our entire group wasn't eager to eat breakfast, lunch, or dinner. My experience in Korea was simply unforgettable, and I'll always be grateful for this opportunity to tour and learn about peace building in Korea.read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend