Spalding University offers a 65-hour, brief-residency Master of Fine Arts in Writing degreen with concentrations in fiction,...
- Louisville, United States
- Program Type:
- Full Degree
- Degree Level:
- Creative Writing
- Program Description:
- Spalding University offers a 65-hour, brief-residency Master of Fine Arts in Writing degree with concentrations in fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction, writing for children and young adults, screenwriting, and playwriting. Each semester begins with a 10-day residency away from home, after which students return home to study independently with a faculty mentor. The program offers more than one option to successfully complete the program. Students may customize the location, season, and pace of their studies. The fall (November) and spring (May) semesters begin with 10-day residencies in Louisville followed by a 6-month semester of independent study with a faculty mentor. Students may expect to spend about 25 hours a week in writing and reading. Students send 5 packets of writing at 3 1/2-week intervals. The summer semester begins with a 10-day residency abroad followed by a 9-month semester of independent study with a faculty mentor. The abroad residencies take place in a different international location each year, such as Tuscany, Paris, Barcelona, Buenos Aires, Dublin, Prague, Berlin. . . . Students may expect to spend about 12-15 hours a week in writing and reading. Students send 5 packets of writing at 6-week intervals. (Students who prefer the longer semester but do not wish to travel abroad may combine the spring Louisville residency with the 9-month summer at-home semester schedule.) The program takes four-independent study sessions and five residencies (the fifth and graduating residency occurs after the fourth independent study) to complete and is a 65-credit hour degree. Students take from 2-10 years to complete the program. Applicants may apply at any time; however, the deadline for spring and summer is February 1; and for fall, July 1. See the website for a list of faculty and for tuition information. For more information email [email protected]
Additional Program Information
- Spalding University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. The MFA in Writing Program is a member of the Association of Writers and Writing Programs (AWP)
- Financial Aid:
- Bachelor's degree, No GRE required.
- International Requirements:
- Financial statement to show ability to pay tuition, proof of health insurance, TOEFL if from a non English-speaking country. transcript certified equivalent to US bachelors.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program