- Tunis, Tunisia
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
In Tunisia and Italy, crossroads of the Mediterranean, study the interplay of regional politics, migration, and religion. Examine the ethics of solidarity, care, and resilience as you learn or advance your Modern Standard Arabic.
Key Topics of Study
- Political transformation, transitional justice, and democratization in Tunisia
- International relations and religious integration in the context of Mediterranean mass migration
- The interplay between secular politics and political Islam, religion and public life, religious practice and political affiliation
- The role of art in articulating the vision of a more sustainable future
- The role of the state and civil society in a divided society
- The ethics of care and hospitality in the context of populism and assimilationist ideologies
Please inquire for costs: Fees include tuition, full room and board, all field trips and related fares, health and accident insurance, and other direct program expenses. Participants pay for international airfare and domestic travel to the point of departure from the USA.
- Setting Description:
- Study at the intersection of Africa, the Middle East, and Europe. As the northernmost country on the African continent, less than 100 miles south of Europe, Tunisia is the most Mediterranean country in North Africa, particularly in terms of customs and lifestyle. Hailed for its peaceful transition from an authoritarian to a democratic mode of governance, Tunisia is an ideal place to assess the complex political and religious linkages that define the geopolitical map in the Euro-Mediterranean region.
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- This year, SIT will award more than $1.5 million in scholarships and grants to SIT Study Abroad students. We encourage all qualified students to apply for our need-based scholarships.
Based on 2 Reviews
- SIT Tunisia/Italy -- Politics and Religious Integration in the Mediterranean12/30/19
SIT Tunisia/Italy was extremely rewarding. I studied abroad from August-December 2019. Though I am not the biggest fan of all of SIT's policies and structures, this specific program was immensely gratifying. The professors are all brilliant and the homestay
experiences were amazing for every member of our program. There were 12 of us from all over the country/world and at a wide variety of American colleges. Our three weeks in Sicily to study migration were an absolute highlight. But our time in Tunisia was irreplaceable -- especially if you are interested in politics, democracy, Arabic/French, and the Middle East/North Africa. The program allows for time in the desert of Tunisia and provides a perfect amount of independent time and growth. Especially rewarding for lovers of language! Saha <3read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend
- Great opportunities in Tunisia!09/20/13
The program was excellent -- great staff, great place, great history, great opportunities. That being said, I would recommend this to self-directed students who will be excited to take advantage of the independent study month to do research. There's so
much in Tunisia to do, see, and learn about and SIT sets you up to do so much.read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend