- Christmas Island, Christmas Island; East London, South Africa; Durban, South Africa; Richards Bay, South Africa; Multi-Country Programs, Multi-Country Programs; Darwin, Australia; Programs at Sea, Programs at Sea; Knysna, South Africa; Mossel Bay, South Africa; Cocos Islands And Keeling Islands, Cocos (Keeling) Islands; Terre Rouge, Mauritius; Cape Town, South Africa
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Gap Year
- Fall Semester
- Program Description:
7,000 Nautical Miles via Bali, Christmas Island, Cocos Keeling, Mauritius
This voyage is a once in a lifetime opportunity to sail aboard one of our 112-foot schooners, S/Y Argo or S/Y Vela, from Australia to Bali and across the Southern Indian Ocean to Cape Town via Christmas Island and Mauritius. The voyage offers a full complement of academics, allowing students to earn 12 college credits. Additionally, this voyage will prove to be an exciting travel adventure that emphasizes blue-water sailing skills development, SCUBA diving training, and cultural exploration. Sail training certifications for this voyage are issued through International Yacht Training, as IYT offers the only global standard in professional yachting certifications. Students have the opportunity to progress up to the level of Master of Yachts 200 Ton based on past experience and aptitude.
- Setting Description:
- This voyage is typically run aboard either S/Y Argo or S/Y Vela. Argo and Vela are expertly designed 112-ft two-masted staysail schooners with room for 26 students and 7 staff. Argo was completed in 2006, and her sister, Vela in 2020. Both Argo and Vela were designed and built to circumnavigate the world. This means that every 90-day trip she embarks upon, a fresh batch of students faces the challenge of spending many days or weeks at sea while crossing one of the world’s oceans. For those looking for a genuine blue water experience, then voyages run aboard these vessels are perfect for you. When we designed the vessels, we did so with safety, dependability and ‘trainability’ in mind. We often refer to them as a “Big, Little Boats” meaning that we designed their systems in such a way that they are easy for students to understand and operate. Since our goal is to have students quickly reach the point where they are running the vessel, trainability is an important factor.
- Voyage costs vary by trip duration and location, please visit our website for detailed tuition information.
Additional Program Information
- No previous experience necessary is necessary to join any of our programs, yet all students are required to have reached the age of matriculation from high school, be on a gap year or enrolled in / recently graduated from college.
- Scholarships Description:
- Please visit the Scholarship and Financial Aid page on our website for detailed information. This is located under the Admissions section.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program