Each year SYA China enrolls approximately 60 students to complete their junior or senior year of high school. Students come from public and private schools across the United States.The central elements of SYA China – the homestay and an academic pro
- Beijing, China
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- High School
- Academic Year, Fall Semester
- Program Description:
- Located on the campus of Beijing Normal University High School #2, SYA China opened its doors in 1994 and was the first high school program in the People’s Republic of China granted permission to place students with host families for the entire academic year. SYA China provides an exceptional opportunity to gain true insight into Chinese culture while mastering Mandarin through intensive language instruction.
SYA China is a year-long academic homestay program for high school juniors and seniors located in Bejing, China.
Each year SYA China enrolls approximately 60 students to complete their junior or senior year of high school. Students come from public and private schools across the United States.The central elements of SYA China – the homestay and an academic program emphasizing intensive instruction in Chinese – ensure that students return home with both a real mastery of the language and a deep understanding of the culture. At the same time, instructors from U.S. schools guarantee that they do not lose ground in their core American courses: math and English. Students choose from a wide array of standard and AP classes in Chinese language, Chinese History, Chinese Culture and Society, English, and Mathematics. SYA China also administers the PSAT, SAT, SAT II and AP standardized tests as well as providing college counseling for all students.
SYA offers the opportunity to master a second language while pursuing a demanding academic program. Students gain not only international awareness and college competitiveness, but also increased self-confidence and maturity and a renewed enthusiasm for learning.
- Setting Description:
- Standing in Tian'anmen Square at the heart of China's capital city, one is filled with a sense of the nation's dynastic and modern history. In the thirteenth century when the Mongol armies of Ghengis Kahn swept across China they established Beijing as the capital of the Yuan Dynasty (1206-1368). The city served as the capital for the subsequent Ming (1368-1644) and Qing or Manchu (1644-1911) dynasties whose imprint is evident in Beijing's countless pagodas, temples and imperial parks that exist peacefully alongside modern high-rises and bustling markets. In 1949 Chairman Mao Zedong stood atop the Gate of Heavenly Peace overlooking the Square and proclaimed the establishment of the People's Republic of China. The city surrounding Tian'anmen is not only the nation's political capital, but also a major economic and cultural center in Asia and the world. Beijing provides SYA students with limitless opportunities for learning about all aspects of China's history and modernity--a world of
- Please see our website for tuition information.
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- SYA offers merit and need-based scholarships and financial aid. Visit sya.org/scholarships for more information.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program