- Irkutsk, Russia
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester, Summer
- Program Description:
Language and the environment are both issues of global importance. Irkutsk provides an exceptionally intensiveand immersive experience to study both.
For language acquisition, homestays are available, active, and encouraged. In Irkutsk, English is less prevalent than in major cities and the slower pace of life means that strong, local, Russian-speaking connections can be made through SRAS-supported peer tutoring and through local interest groups.
Semester and summer students will enjoy an extensive included cultural program focused on Siberia's unique environment, history, and indigenous cultures. Semester students can choose further intensify their language study with individual language classes or add a course on Russia's environmental history and/or other electives.
Irkutsk is especially recommended for intermediate and advanced students looking to make a breakthrough in their language skills. Irkutsk rewards those who are active, enjoy nature, and who want to experience local life in Siberia together with the diverse people that live there.
- Setting Description:
- Irkutsk was founded by the Decembrists, aristocrats exiled to Siberia after the 1905 revolution. Their presence helped to make Irkutsk Siberia's center for culture, commerce, and education. Irkutsk also features some of Siberia's most striking ecological beauty amid several native cultures. Irkutsk State Linguistic University was founded to serve as a conduit between Russia and these native peoples by teaching languages. There are few universities better suited to provide a clear understanding of Siberia. This multidisciplinary course is designed to meet credit transfer requirements in a range of departments.
- See the SRAS website for the most up-to-date information.
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- SRAS offers two funding opportunities: Challenge Grants:Writing grants; stackable grants; matching grants; alumni grants; military grants; and more! Home and Abroad: Add a resume-building internship and up to $10,000 in funding to your SRAS program.