- Venice, Italy
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- High School
- Spring Semester
- Program Description:
24 May - 2 June, 2021Dead line for applying: May 15, 2021School for Curatorial Studies
Why is the Venice Biennale still the leading international art shows? The Venice Biennale has been for over 120 years one of the most prestigious cultural institutions. The arts exhibition saw some of the most renowned 20th- and 21st-century artists presenting their work there and welcomed a range of important critics and art historians as curators of the main exhibitions and the National Pavilions, all contributing to generating the “pluralism of voices” for which the event has been known for. The history of the La Biennale di Venezia dates back from 1895, when the first International Art Exhibition was organized and has an attendance today of over 500,000 visitors. Throughout decades, La Biennale di Venezia has maintained its ability to anticipate new trends in art, while presenting works and artists of every period under renewed perspectives. The preview days brings 25,000 artists, collectors, curators, museum directors and journalists into the city, followed by 600,000 visitors in the six months after. How has the event gained its prestige? How the curatorial projects of keys figures like Harald Szeemann, Massimiliano Gioni, Okwui Enwezor and Ralph Rugoff, have contributed to its developments? Which is the role of national pavilions organized by dozens of countries, each offering a show of one or more artists? These are the questions that we will try to respond with insights and intervention by some of the main actors, helping us navigate the cultural influence of the Venice Biennale and its future prospective. We will enrich and deepen your understanding of how the Venice Biennale is basically running through original documents, letters and special guests.Led by our global faculty, the course, is combining live lectures and discussion — to provide participants with expert insight and guided exploration.Course 2. The rise of the curators24 – 26 May 2021
- The biennale is getting into a New era: the 1993 the global edition by Achille Bonito Oliva. Analysis of the concept/ display and artists
- 100 years of the Biennale: Jean Clair from a classical form of exhibition to contemporary art. Analysis of the concept/ display and artists
- Harald Szeeman and the Biennale becomes even more global. The edition of 1999 and the 2001.
31 May - 2 June 2021Biennale 2003 and the dictatorship of the viewer. A collaboration between a group of world leading curators under the direction of Francesco Bonami
- The encyclopedia Palace, by Massimiliano Gioni 2013. An exhibition between art history and contemporary art research.
- All the world future by Okwui Enwezor: 2015 a post-colonial Biennale. Analysis of the concept/ display and artists.
- Ralph Rugoff, not just a classical exhibition, but rather an immersive understanding of contemporaneity.
The fee per course is 490 euro. In case you choose to take part to more then one course, a discount of 100 euro will be applied to the fee of the next courses. Our Online Delivery MethodOnline Study Luctures effectively run over the week – Monday and Wednesday from 6pm to 8pm CET – maintaining our usual tours’ focused, intensive and immersive experience.Live Seminars - Each lecture is two hours long at the end of each lecture we will have a half an hour for questions and discussions. Your tutor will hold live seminars with you and Google.meet discussions are accessed via a web-link which we will email to you. These sessions enable you to ‘meet’ your tutor and fellow students. To participate you will only need an internet enabled device; you do not need a Google.meet account. If you have questions that you were not able to raise in the discussions, you will also be able to communicate with your tutor by email.
- Setting Description:
- Online, Google Meet
- 490 EUR. The fee per course is 490 euro. In case you choose to take part to more then one course, a discount of 100 euro will be applied to the fee of the next courses.
Additional Program Information
- To participate you will only need an internet enabled device; you do not need a Google.meet account
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program