- Aachen, Germany
- Program Type:
- Full Degree
- Degree Level:
- Engineering, Engineering
- Program Description:
The program teaches the latest developments in textile technology in a wide range of subjects covering high-performance fibers, 3D textiles, and new processes and machines to manufacture textile products. In 2015, the program was accredited by ASIIN e.V. as well as by the Textile Institute.
Germany is the primary location in researching and developing new technologies in mechanical engineering industries and textile production worldwide. It is also one of the biggest producers of technical textiles.
The RWTH Textile Engineering department (ITA) has frequently been honored for their innovations and leading position in the area of textile engineering (e.g. Techtextil Innovation Award 2015). The M.Sc. Textile Engineering at RWTH Aachen University offers an interdisciplinary curriculum drawing on diverse science and engineering principles.
An RWTH textile engineer is someone who...
- develops new machines to manufacture textile products
- develops a nano-composite material for high-performance textiles
- invents new fiber-reinforced plastic materials for application in aeronautics or car racing such as “Formula 1”
- develops advanced polymer blend technology for product improvements in textiles and composites
- improves and develops innovative methods in production of fiber-reinforced plastic materials
- designs smart fibers which are able to monitor vital signs to support more independence to those with cardiovascular disease treatment
...to make a difference. Is this you?
You will choose one of two modes of study: coursework or research. The coursework option focuses on practical and applied textile engineering, while the research option allows you to specialize in a particular field of interest. Whichever study track you choose, you will enjoy small class sizes with personal attention from faculty, encouraging plenty of dynamic interaction.
Interdisciplinary Teaching and Learning
This Master’s degree course focuses on interdisciplinary learning and trains highly qualified young, international professionals. It combines teaching, project and research results and puts these directly into practice. The research-based or practice-based Master's thesis is then developed from laboratory work or direct involvement in research projects.
You will learn how to…
- develop new products, new processes, and new machines
- improve existing textile products, processes, and machines
- simulate textile products, processes, and machines
- design machines
Research at the Institute for Textile Technology (ITA)
The Institute for Textile Technology (ITA) is part of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering of RWTH Aachen University. The focus of the research is on the development of new textile machines and new textile processes. They do not research textile design, finishing or clothing technology.
Current areas of research are:
- Spinning, spinning preparation, non-wovens
- Textile fabrics production (weaving, knitting/warp knitting, braiding)
- Man-made fiber technology
- Technical textiles and fiber-reinforced composites
- Medical textiles and biomaterials
- Smart textiles
- Textile economics
- Quality management and process optimization
Research is carred out as part of publicly funded projects (e.g. EU) and also in direct R&D projects for industry.
On successfully completing the course, you will receive a Master of Science degree (M.Sc.) awarded by RWTH Aachen University. With this degree you will become part of the German textile research community at one of the top universities for engineering in the world and can apply for leading positions in industry. In addition, students who show an outstanding academic performance shall be inspired to pursue an ongoing academic career at RWTH Aachen.
Our engineering graduates...
- work at companies such as Anvis, BASF, Continental, Fiat, Ford, Kautex, Liebherr, Rolls Royce, Toyota and Volkswagen
- are very successful on the job market: half of our graduates find employment within a month of graduating and two thirds within three months
- increase their salary by more than 50% (about 40 %)
- Setting Description:
- Aachen is a safe, open-minded, multicultural student city, located right at the “Border Triangle”, where the borders of Germany, Belgium, and the Netherlands meet. One of the many attractions of living in this area are the short travel distances to cities such as Amsterdam, Brussels, Cologne or even Paris. The living costs in Aachen are low in comparison to other European or German cities. In big cities like Munich, Hamburg or Cologne, rents are much higher than in Aachen. The historic city center of Aachen looks back on a history of thousands of years, with the imperial cathedral as its focal point.
- 4,900 EUR. Tuition fee: 4,900 EUR per semester (19,600 EUR in total; 4 semester regular study period) Semester fee at the RWTH Aachen University: around 245 EUR per semester
Additional Program Information
- RWTH Aachen University and RWTH International Academy's partner for certification of quality management systems in systems accreditation is 'ASIIN e.V.' This accreditation agency for degree programs sets standards for programs in engineering, computer science, natural sciences, mathematics, and teaching qualifications. All Master's programs offered in cooperation with the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering of RWTH Aachen and RWTH International Academy have been accredited by ASIIN. The accreditation needs to be updated at regular intervals to ensure a continuous level of quality maintenance and improvement. This program was also accredited by the Textile Institute in 2015.
- A Bachelor of Engineering or Science in Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline, awarded by an internationally recognized university-level institution Practical work experience Very good command of English language Good German language skills (A2 by enrolment) GRE test (applicants from EU, EWG and Bildungsinländer are exempted! No specific points are requested) Fundamental knowledge in the following subjects: Fundamentals in Engineering, Mathematics and Natural Sciences, Mathematics, Mechanics, Material Sciences, Thermodynamics, Chemistry, Physics, Machine Tools, Technical Drawing, Specific Fundamentals, Finishing, Textile Techniques, Fibres, Automatic Control, Quality Management, Computer Sciences, Simulation Techniques, Economics, Molecular Chemistry
- Scholarships Description:
- For a comprehensive overview of possible scholarships, please see our website.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program