- Kathmandu, Nepal; Turrialba, Costa Rica; Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania, United Republic of
- Program Type:
- Volunteer Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Gap Year
- Work Types:
- Children, Construction, Disaster Relief, Economic Development, Education, Environment, Health, Women's Rights
- 3-4 weeks, 1-3 months
- Program Description:
About Raleigh International
Raleigh International is a sustainable development organisation with more than 30 years of expertise in working with young people to create lasting change.
With our project partners, local communities, funders, and over 42,000 previous local and international volunteers, we form a global community who are passionate about working together to build a sustainable future.
What is a Raleigh Expeditions?
Raleigh Expeditions is an expertly led, structured program for high school and college students that combines sustainable travel with volunteering. Expeditions are designed to help young adults develop resilience, leadership and communication skills and global citizenship.
Raleigh offers Expeditions for 4, 5, 7 & 10 weeks in Nepal, Costa Rica and Tanzania. Each Expedition is a unique mixture of structured projects, personal discovery and true adventure.
As part of an international team, you will live and engage with remote communities not frequented by tourists, and work on impactful conservation, community and service projects that create lasting change and protect natural resources. You will also get the opportunity to take part in an exhilarating team trek through unique and stunning landscapes.
Our Expeditions are all about variety.
This is why our Expeditions include different people, projects, locations and challenges. There will be people like you and people from different backgrounds and cultures, including local volunteers from the Expedition countries. Together you’ll be a team with a common aim; to bring energy and inspiration to create the world that we want.
An Expedition, in three words?
Raleigh has a ‘never give up attitude’ and we expect our volunteers to share it with us. Expeditions can be tough at times but they are also fun. Our staff, our volunteer managers and your fellow team members will support you throughout. Together you’ll encourage one another to do things and achieve things you never thought possible.
Want to be inspired by people, new environments and new ways of approaching some of the world’s challenges? On Expedition you’ll meet people from all over the world. These new friends will open you up to lots of different points of view. And, as for the places we work, once you see how special some of these areas are, you’ll see why they need preserving.
We support and encourage you to have an impact where it matters most. Last year more than 180,000 people from around the world benefited from our programmes. Our expedition volunteers help empower local communities; by improving people’s access to safe water and sanitation, building stronger communities and protecting the world’s resources. This is your chance to create change in the communities we work in and develop skills for yourself.
Raleigh International needs volunteers, like you, from around the world to work side-by-side with communities to create lasting change!
- Setting Description:
- You'll work in rural and beautiful areas in Costa Rica, Tanzania and Nepal. Conditions are basic and challenging, but you'll experience real cultural immersion and visit marginalised communities not frequented by tourists.
- $3,100 for 4 weeks, $3,600 for 5 weeks, $4,500 for 7 weeks, $5,000 for 10 weeks. USD. Fundraising targets include in-country travel, accommodation. food and full insurance. Price does not include flights, visas, vaccinations or personal belongings (for example rucksack, walking boots, sleeping bag etc.).
Additional Program Information
- You can join a Raleigh Expedition as a volunteer if you are aged 17 – 24. If you are 25 – 75, you can apply to join our volunteer manager team. Our Expeditions are open to all nationalities. You will need a basic level of English so you can follow health and safety instructions. We welcome people from all over the world, regardless of background, education, skills and experience. We ask volunteers to share our belief in young people’s ability to create change. You’ll also need a positive attitude and an open mind. If you want to challenge yourself and learn about different cultures, then a Raleigh Expedition could be for you.
- Scholarships Description:
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program