- Alajuela, Costa Rica; Belize City, Belize; Granada, Nicaragua; Multi-Country Programs, Multi-Country Programs; Quetzaltenango, Guatemala; Tulum, Mexico
- Program Type:
- Intensive Language
- Degree Level:
- 1-3 months, 4-6 months
- Program Description:
Develop a global perspective, independence, leadership and Spanish skills through outdoor expeditions, service learning projects, and authentic cultural and language immersion. Pacific Discovery programs foster empathy for other cultures, ethical and sustainable travel practices, and awareness of international issues. Students leave with a deepened sense of their identity, passion, and purpose.
Pacific Discovery is a global leader in experiential education, offering inspiring summer, semester, and gap year programs abroad since 2001, and is an inaugural member of the American Gap Association.
- Visit our website to request a detailed information booklet for this program –
On our Central America Semester, you'll travel in a fun, safe and supportive group of 14 students with two instructors to facilitate and mentor your experience. You'll get involved in rewarding service learning projects in wildlife conservation and community permaculture. You will become a PADI certified scuba diver. We will hike, surf, sail and snorkel through diverse national parks. You will also have many opportunities for meaningful connections with local people that will deepen your own global perspective and strengthen your Spanish skills. We support you to develop your leadership skills, resourcefulness, resilience, and independence. Pacific Discovery is committed to sustainability and ethical travel, which we'll be practicing throughout the program.
- Practice and grow your Spanish language skills through immersion and homestays.
- Volunteer in service learning projects at the Toucan Ranch, and in Community Development where we learn how local communities grow food for themselves and others.
- Develop skills in independent travel, scuba, leadership, surfing, trekking, sustainability, conservation and snorkeling
- Explore Central America's highlights – Mayan ruins, volcanoes, world heritage sites, islands, reefs, beaches, national parks
- Experience transformative personal growth that pushes students to reflect and ask questions of themselves, working towards a deeper understanding of their values, identity, passions and purpose.
10-week program for ages 18-24. Fall and Spring departures. Scholarships and academic credit available.
- Setting Description:
- This program allows you to connect deeply with some incredible communities and development organizations in remote parts of the region. Throughout the program, you will stay in a variety of accommodations: locally run guesthouses, hostels, and host families’ homes in two countries.
- 11750 USD. See our site for updated tuition breakdown and to download an information booklet.
Program costs includes: • All necessary visas and transport, including four mid-program flights • All accommodation and meals • All excursions and entry fees listed in the itinerary • Contribution to our service learning project sites • Experienced Program Instructors and local guides • Global medical rescue and political evacuation insurance • 24/7 emergency contact number for families • Online image library
Additional Program Information