- Nairobi, Kenya
- Program Type:
- Volunteer Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Gap Year
- Work Types:
- Education, Health, Social Services
- 1-2 weeks, 3-4 weeks, 1-3 months, 4-6 months, 7-11 months
- Program Description:
The HIV/AIDS epidemic in Africa is unusual in its scope and magnitude. Health workers in Kenya are under great pressure, given the unprecedented surge in the number of HIV/AIDS patients. A volunteer who elects to take on a placement with HIV/AIDS is taking part in the efforts to mount an effective response in meeting the needs of effected communities.
The HIV/AIDS volunteer in Kenya service includes visits to slums with the purpose of delivering vital supplies of food, medicine, as well as providing basic medical care. HIV/AIDS volunteers help reduce the spread of HIV by raising awareness and promoting access to medical care. They also foster compassion in the community for people living with HIV/AIDS as well as giving emotional support.
Volunteers can opt to start this placement by undertaking a 2 week HIV/AIDs Training Course designed to teach vital skills used on this program, including taking blood samples, testing blood, dealing with patients and counselling (additional fees apply).
Age: 18 years +
Minimum stay: 1 Week
How to apply: Online Application
Start Dates: Flexible/Open Start Dates
Language: All volunteers must have a good command of the English language. Some understanding of the local dialect would also be beneficial.
ABOUT LOVE VOLUNTEERS
Love Volunteers provides individuals with the chance to travel abroad and immerse in a new culture, while participating in projects that provide help where it is needed most. Join us for a truly memorable experience volunteering abroad. All volunteer projects are responsible, safe, and affordable!
Here's why more and more people are choosing to become a LOVE VOLUNTEER!
Need - We work directly with local charities on grass-roots community development projects. Our focus is on providing support where it is really needed - not holidays! We keep volunteer numbers at sustainable levels to meet the needs of each project - not to increase revenue!
Impact - By becoming a Love Volunteer you are saying to the world that you are a REAL volunteer and your focus is on supporting people and communities in need. You're not just a tourist and your goals include much more than selfies and hangovers. Your contribution with LV will be real and measurable. You will change lives, and one of them will be your own!
Safety - Your safety is our top priority. We have personally visited and regularly audit all of our projects and accommodations so you can rest assured that your needs will be met, whilst getting the most out of your experience.
Support - With dedicated in-country teams, you know you will have 24/7 support right there when you need it - guaranteed! From simply questions to hospital trips, we will ensure you are supported throughout your placement.
Communication - We pride ourselves in our reputation as always being available when you need us, dealing with your questions quickly, and being prompt with all communications. We are here to help you help the world!
Value - We strive to make volunteering abroad affordable and accessible to everyone. Our program fees are lower, our registration fees are lower - and we encourage you to compare!
Security - We have placed thousands of international volunteers in meaningful voluntary service projects around the world. We have the experience and the reputation, so you know you are in good hands!
Friendship - One of the benefits of volunteering is that you'll meet new people and develop friendships that will last a lifetime. This is one of the true benefits of volunteering and we encourage you to make the most of the unique opportunity to develop these cross-cultural friendships.
Free time - We realize that everyone needs a break and encourage our volunteers to have a look around where and when possible. All you need to do is let us know what you want to do and we will do our very best to make it happen for you!
For more information, or to join us on this exciting project, visit our website now!
- Setting Description:
- As with all of our programs in Nairobi, volunteers are accommodated within our comfortable volunteer house, where you will have the opportunity to meet and socialize with other like-minded people from around the world. Free time can be used to explore this amazing city, or go on one of the many safaris available in the region!
- LV Registration Fee + Programs Fees just $235 for one week! USD. Included: Accommodation, 2 Meals per day, Airport Pick-Up, Orientation on Arrival and 24/7 In-Country Support. Not Included: Flights, Insurance, VISA, Vaccinations, In-Country Transport, and Spending Money.
Additional Program Information
- Love Volunteers welcomes all who wish to volunteer and give their time and energy to help improve the lives of others in a developing country. Whilst some programs require specific education, qualifications and experience, all applicants must first and foremost have a genuine willingness to help, show drive and initiative, and bring a positive 'can-do' attitude. If this sounds like you, we want you on the team!
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program