- Chiang Mai, Thailand; San Cristobal, Ecuador; Johannesburg, South Africa; Tena, Ecuador; Koh Tao, Thailand
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Spring Semester, Summer
- Program Description:
This global semester abroad is perfect for the student who is exploring various aspects of veterinary medicine, loves working with different kinds of animals, or has an insatiable wanderlust and wants to see three very different parts of the world while studying abroad.
Spanning the course of three months, students will have endless opportunities to gain hands-on experience learning clinical skills and providing care to animals in need. With three 4-week modules in Ecuador, Thailand and South Africa, you’ll have the chance to work with dogs and cats, elephants, cheetahs, marine life and various animals of the Amazon rainforest!
- Feed and help provide medical care to cheetahs
- Learn about all aspects of care and management of captive wildlife
- Go on safari through Kruger National Park, one of the largest national parks in the world and home to almost 150 large animal species (more than any other game reserve in Africa) including lions, leopards, rhino, elephants, and buffalo
- Work as a volunteer in a South African zoo
- Assist in wild animal conservation research in South Africa
- Feed, study, and care for rescued elephants
- Assist in dog neuter surgeries
- Learn and practice small animal clinical skills
- Tour the city of Chiang Mai, including visits to temples and local markets
- Get SCUBA certified and learn conservation diving
- Learn to identify marine invertebrates, tropical fish, and understand reef health
- Stay overnight in forest villages to understand their livelihoods and connections to forest ecosystems
- Zipline through the jungle
- Care for coatis, toucans, tapirs, and other Amazonian animals
- Research and create enrichments for monkeys
- Perform veterinary labs such as coprological exams and necropsies
- Enjoy a fun weekend of rafting and caving in Tena
- Discover Quito, the capital of Ecuador
- Help to research marine fishes populations of the Galapagos
- Snorkel the famous Kicker Rock with sea turtles and sea lions
- Explore San Cristobal from sunrise hikes to sunset beach yoga
- Earn 200+ veterinary hours and 18 credits
- Earn 92 animal experience and research hours.
- $21,950 USD. The tuition for the Global Veterinary Semester Abroad is $21,950. It includes tuition, housing, meals, transport to class each day, transport within the program country, books, and lab fees. It does not include international airfare or health insurance costs. The Spring semester will include a one-week break from March 1-7. During this time, students will be responsible for their own housing, meals, and activities, and can either stay in Chiang Mai, Thailand or travel from there during that wee
Additional Program Information
- This program is open to applicants age 18 and over. You can be a citizen or resident of any country. You do not need to currently be in school. All courses are taught in English - no foreign language skills are necessary. Competitive applicants plan to apply to vet school or otherwise work in a career with animals and have a demonstrated interest in working in animal science. No specific skills or experiences are required.
- Scholarships Description:
- Need-based scholarships and aid are available. Visit our website for details or contact us for more information.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program