Living and working in Australia allows you to experience the country’s rich cultural heritage and environment first hand, whether in the vibrant cities, the rugged outback or the northern tropics. Working in a variety of settings, you will be able to deve
- Canberra, Australia
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Gap Year
- Rolling Starts, Year Round
- Program Description:
- Placement Types
Some of the duties you might become involved in:
• Helping in the boarding house - pastoral care
• Helping with sports coaching, music, art, and
• Supervision of the outdoor education program,
camps, field trips and excursions
• Before/after school care and running of extra-
• Work in the school office or library. Other
• A school day, particularly at a boarding school does not run from 9am – 3pm, it is more like a small community which functions on a 24 hour basis, 7 days a week. You will be asked to help in early mornings, evenings and on some weekends. You will be given appropriate time off to compensate. For those in Day Schools make sure you get yourselves involved in after school clubs, musical productions, drama plays, swimming carnivals etc. All help in extra-curricular activities is greatly appreciated.
Outdoor camp placements
Outdoor camps provide outdoor education and recreation program for organised groups in stunning locations around Australia. Some placements also provide education on the Australian landscape and Aboriginal culture. To be considered for Outdoor placements you need to have a love of the outdoors, ideally have experience of outdoor activities and be confident working with children. As the placements are in remote areas, you need to be prepared to make your own fun at night time (not for people looking for a city-experience!) and accept that you will not be going to the city every weekend.
Indigenous Education Placements
In Australia, we have many boarding schools that cater specifically to Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islanders. These students have left their own remote communities after reaching high school age, because their community does not have a local high school, or their families cannot provide housing that is suitable for a high school student. Your duties may include (depending on your skills and interests and the needs of the placement): help with boarding duties, tutoring English and maths, helping with sport, drama, working in the medical clinic, and outdoor camps as well as occasionally assisting teachers in the classroom - one to one tuition with pupils/group work. None of the Schools placements in Australia will require you to teach a class
Volunteers need to be open to helping in all departments.
Living and working in Australia allows you to experience the country’s rich cultural heritage and environment first hand, whether in the vibrant cities, the rugged outback or the northern tropics. Working in a variety of settings, you will be able to develop your skills and pursue new interests while contributing to children’s education and enjoyment.
- Setting Description:
- Schools Assistant Location of placements Most placements are not in major cities, as we feel volunteers tend to be better received and integrate easier when they are placed in smaller cities, or regional areas. That is why we place volunteers in cities like Toowomba, Hamilton, Hobart and Townsville, to name but a few. Most are regional cities so you are not cut off from civilization. Accommodation and Food If you are in a boarding school you will have a (sometimes shared) room in the boarding house, or be housed in a separate flat/house provided by the school. Expect it to be clean and comfortable but basically furnished. If you are placed in a day school you will stay with a local family. During term time, you will be given 3 meals a day, usually in the boarding house or with your host family. Boarding house food is designed to feed the masses – so don’t expect gourmet! Outdoor Education Location of Placements The camps are in fairly isolated but wonderfully scenic areas. Accommo
- Accommodation and Food Accommodation is provided in the staff quarters on campus, or volunteers are given their own room within the school boarding house. Food is supplied in conjunction with accommodation. What’s Included? Pre-departure briefing Accommodation & food Pocket money In-country support 24/7 support Need to know Pre departure briefing – all volunteers are invited to a group briefing prior to departure On arrival – volunteers attend an orientation session in Melbourne unless specif
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program