- Muriae, Brazil
- Program Type:
- Volunteer Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Work Types:
- Economic Development, Education, Environment, Health
- 1-2 weeks, 3-4 weeks, 1-3 months, 4-6 months, 1 year
- Program Description:
Iracambi is one of a number of small non-profits working to conserve the priceless resources of the forest while improving the economic situation of the local people. Situated in the mountains of Minas Gerais, on the borders of the Serra do Brigadeiro State Park, this is your base to volunteer your time and talents, expand your horizons (and ours), and participate in the many exciting opportunities available to you here at Iracambi.
Our researchers and volunteers, supported by the local community, work to better understand the factors that lead to forest degradation and restoration. Iracambi works on forest restoration, (maintenance of the nursery, lots of tree planting) community education and outreach, mapping and GIS, ecosystem monitoring, and water source restoration. Research and action are closely linked so that you can see the results of your efforts and really make a difference. We also work with the community through language exchange - creating bridges between locals and international volunteers and researchers.
Iracambi provides a unique opportunity for students to experience at grassroots level the realities of economic development and environmental conservation in an isolated rural community, where the activties of the organization have a real impact on the lives of real people. We can tailor visit and study programs for groups, as well.
- Setting Description:
- Situated in the forested mountains of Minas Gerais, Iracambi is six hours from Rio, at an altitude of 1000 m which gives it a wonderful climate year round. Don't expect city comforts, do expect climbing, hiking, swimming in natural rock pools, playing soccer with the local community - you'll never beat them!
- $800 per month for a shared room in the main house or in one of our cabins. Great food (3 meals a day) and wifi use are included. Beer and small luxuries are always available to buy in our restaurant. You should allow around $150 for your round trip from Rio airport, and some nationals may have to pay for a visa.
Additional Program Information
- Sense of adventure, sense of humor and a good pair of hiking boots.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program