- Songwon, Korea
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Spring Semester
- Program Description:
This once-in-a-lifetime opportunity will take students to PyeongChang, South Korea to experience firsthand the 2018 Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games. Students will volunteer for the 2018 Winter Paralympics (3/3/18–3/19/18) in PyeongChang, South Korea and take courses to gain a global understanding of mega sports with regard to hospitality, tourism, and the event industry of South Korea. Included in the program is tickets to Olympic events in PyeongChang!
Undergraduates will enroll in the following courses (12 credits total):
- TOUR 480/SPMT 480: Paralympics Field Study (6 credits)
- TOUR 440/SPMT 405: Global Mega Sport & Event Management (3 credits)
- TOUR 210/TOUR 362/SPMT 440: Global Understanding through Tourism and Sport Management (3 credits)
- SPMT 616: Global Mega Sport & Event Management (3 credits)
- SPMT 551: Global Understanding through Tourism and Sport Management (3 credits)
* Students are encouraged to enroll in an additional online course of their choosing
Eligibility & Prerequisites
This program is open to undergraduate and graduate students, including students who do not attend George Mason University. Undergraduate students must have completed 45 credit hours by the start of the program.
Students will stay on the Mason Korea campus in Songdo and in hotels during the field study portion in PyeongChang.
- $6,600 (in-state students) $14,300 (out-of-state students) Included: Tuition (12 credits for undergraduates) Accommodations Entrance fees to Olympic events and other program-specific sites Guides/guest speakers In-country transportation Breakfasts and lunches Pre-Departure Orientation International Emergency Insurance Not Included: Round-trip airfare Application fee Passport fees Some meals Personal spending
Additional Program Information