Do great work in a country that will leave a lasting impression on you. Kathmandu is a sprawling city with elements of the western world, but steeped in tradition. There are endless things to do and see. ELI works hard to ensure that volunteers also get a
- Kathmandu, Nepal
- Program Type:
- Intern Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, MayMester Intersession, Rolling Starts, Spring Break, Spring Semester, Summer, Winter Semester, Year Round
- Work Types:
- Medical, Nursing, Sciences & Environment
- Program Description:
- * Intern at a Hospital or Health Clinic. It is estimated that hundreds of thousands of Nepali people, especially women and children, suffer unnecessarily due to a lack of basic medical care. Working at a hospital or clinic is an opportunity to provide a much needed service and learn firsthand about basic healthcare in a third world country. These placements are ideal for pre-med, pre-dental and pre-nursing students who have completed some relevant coursework. More advanced positions are available for nursing and medical students who wish to acquire clinical experience. Serious participants are often invited to observe surgeries. If you have interest or experience in a particular field, let us know and we will try to create a program tailored to you. This is a great program for serious students who are ready to roll-up their sleeves and learn from Nepali professionals. This program always fills up in the summer, so we recommend applying early.
* Intern at a Dental Office - Hospitals in Kathmandu offer complete dental care on-site. The dental offices are often swamped with patients - some of whom have never seen a dentist before. These positions are open to dental students and junior/senior level undergraduates who have some related experience/education and plan to pursue a career in the field.
* Medical Volunteer Professionals - Rural clinics and free health camps for the poor are always in need of certified RNs and MDs. If you have a couple weeks to spare, you can make a big difference in the quality of care they receive.
* Dual Programs - We are currently offering the option to split your time between a medical program and an orphanage or monastery volunteer placement. These have been incredibly successful in keeping ELI participants busy, meeting new people, and making a difference! Contact us for details.
Participants arrive in Kathmandu on these dates, as group orientation will start the following morning:
2013: Sept 30, (no arrivals during Dashain), Oct 28, Nov 11, Nov 25
2014: Open arrivals through winter and early spring. Arrival dates start back up: May 19, May 26, June 2, June 16, June 30, July 14, July 28, August 11, August 25, September 8, September 22
Please inquire for later dates.
Positions are available for pre-med, pre-dental, pre-nursing, nursing students, medical students, and medical professionals.
Do great work in a country that will leave a lasting impression on you. Kathmandu is a sprawling city with elements of the western world, but steeped in tradition. There are endless things to do and see. ELI works hard to ensure that volunteers also get a chance to explore beautiful Nepal! Participants usually plan weekend trips to float on the lake in Pokhara and ride the elephants in Chitwan. There is also a thriving tourist district for those who crave a pizza, a hamburger, or English language bookstores. It is a city where you can escape the West or not, depending on your preference.
Program Fees Include * Airport pickup * Orientation * Day tour of local sights * Walking tour of your neighborhood * Placement coordination * Accommodations at the volunteer house (a nice shared accommodation with western amenities) * 2 meals a day * Free internet access at the volunteer house * 24 hour in-country support by our local office
- Setting Description:
- There is no country more beloved by those who have visited than Nepal. Its warm and friendly people, a rich cultural heritage, and scenic beauty defy the imagination. Nepal is one of the few places where Hindus and Buddhists live together in harmony. This country has long been a popular destination for explorers and nature lovers. At any given moment Kathmandu is overflowing with visitors from all corners of the globe. The hot terai of the north Indian plains gives way to the foothills, then rise dramatically skyward to the icy Himalayan peaks, topping off at Mt. Everest - the highest point on earth at 8850m. Visitors revel in experiencing some of the most incredible trekking in the world, white water rafting, visiting game parks and nature preserves, or simply spending the day leisurely floating on the peaceful waters of Phewa Tal in Pokhara. In spite of these natural blessings, Nepal is one of the poorest countries ELI works in. With a per capita income of approx $490 per year, mos
- New lower program fees! Please contact ELI Abroad for details!
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program