- Barcelona, Spain
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
Spend a semester studying abroad in Barcelona at an internationally renowned university in the cultural hub of Mediterranean Europe. You will have the opportunity to soak up all that Barcelona has to offer both inside and outside of the classroom when you study abroad in Spain. The most pristine white-sand beaches in Western Europe – Barcelona enjoys a mild Mediterranean climate. Pleasant temperatures in winter and hot summers make any time of the year perfect for a visit to the beach. Barcelona’s beaches and boardwalks, a stone’s throw from your front door, are a main attraction in the city. Cultural capital of the Mediterranean – Numerous museums, churches, cathedrals, concert halls, the modern art of Joan Miró, Pablo Picasso, and architecture styles make Barcelona an aesthetically appealing destination for visitors from all over the world. World-class academics in world-famous buildings – The UAB campus was named part of UNESCO’s Cultural Heritage for Humanity in 1997. Add to that stellar academics focusing on language and business. Accommodations that suit your style – Semester at the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona provides you with options when it comes to housing. Live with a Spanish family or share an apartment with other international students. The city of Barcelona – The café culture, boutique shops, tapas restaurants, and world- famous nightlife are enough to keep you busy for a semester. Cultural activities and excursions – We will take you to a Catalan cooking class, a flamenco show, and tours of less-traveled barrios of Barcelona. One day trip outside of Barcelona and one weekend trip in Spain are included in the program.
Semester at Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona offers a unique program that focuses on Language, Culture, and International Studies, which includes a variety of courses offered in both English and Spanish. Language, Culture, and International Studies All language levels in Spanish are accommodated, and placement is determined through an online placement exam. You will study alongside other international and American students. You are strongly encouraged to take one 90-contact-hour (6-credit) language course and 2 or 3 elective courses for a full schedule of 12–15 semester credits. Art history, cultural studies, international business, law, political science, marketing, and other course are taught in English; Spanish-language classes are taught in Spanish. Classes are taught at the Sant Pau and Eixample Campuses.
If you've ever wanted to study abroad in Spain, then check out our Semester at Universitat Autónoma de Barcelona study abroad program. Here are a few of the key highlights that make this program unique. Hands-on orientation and guided tours of the city One day and one weekend excursion outside of Barcelona Custom housing options Academic offerings to suit your major and interests Classes taught in both English and Spanish Spanish classes tailored to your current level of Spanish, beginner to advanced
- Setting Description:
- Simply put, Barcelona is an incredible destination for students. In a privileged position on the northeastern coast of the Iberian Peninsula and the shores of the Mediterranean (near France), Barcelona is the second-largest city in Spain in both size and population. The population of the city proper is 1.5 million, but this number spirals to nearly 5 million if the outlying areas are included. Barcelona has 2 official languages: Castilian Spanish and Catalan, which is generally spoken in all of Catalonia. Living in Barcelona will give you the opportunity to practice and improve your own Spanish language abilities. Due to Barcelona’s location, you will also have the chance to learn more about unique Catalan experiences such as Caganers (small statues) and Castellers (human towers that can reach up to 10 stories tall). Love being outdoors? The temperate climate of Barcelona means you can enjoy the outdoors year-round. The city beaches have modern walkways and public facilities, and b
- For current prices and dates please visit the CISabroad website.
Additional Program Information
Based on 2 Reviews
- Best Experience of My Life!02/05/19
Going into my study abroad experience I was extremely nervous as it was my first time living outside of the United States. However, CISabroad calmed my nerves right away. From picking me up at the airport upon arrival, to helping me settle into my apartment,
and organizing weekend trips, the CISabroad onsite staff in Barcelona were amazing. They made the transition easier than I could have ever imagined. Thanks to CISabroad, my semester abroad was the best four months of my life and I came out of it with lifelong friends from around the world, and a stronger sense of self.read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend
- Summer at Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona10/03/16
I had the most incredible experience on this program. CISAbroad did a fantastic job of planning multiple activities every week to get everyone to explore parts of Barcelona they may not have even known existed if they were on their own. The University
had great professors from all over the world that really understood different cultures and taught me more than I have learned in most of my classes in America. I can only say fantastic things about this program and I recommend it to all of my friends that are considering a study abroad.read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend