- Barcelona, Spain
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
The Hispanic and European Studies Program provides beginning through superior-level Spanish speakers the opportunity to take a variety of courses in Spanish or English at one of the most prestigious universities in Barcelona. The language course is equivalent to 6 credits, whereas elective courses are typically equivalent to 3 credits. Courses are taken with other international students. Students are welcome to complete up to 15 credits per semester and can add additional courses for an extra fee. The Spanish language course is available for all levels, but it is only required for those students who plan on taking all of their courses in Spanish. Students who plan on taking their courses in Spanish must have a minimum of 4 semesters of college-level Spanish experience.
Students complete a placement exam upon arrival and are placed into a Spanish course based on the results of that exam.
- Setting Description:
- Barcelona is a city of contradictions: old and new intertwined, beautiful and industrial, traditional and avant-garde. Bordered by France to the north and the Mediterranean Sea to the east, Barcelona is one of the most ‘European’ of Spanish cities. Stroll Las Ramblas, one of the city’s most famous and busy boulevards and weave through the medieval streets of the Gothic Quarter (Barri Gòtic). Enjoy the daring, unique and colorful architecture of Barcelona’s most famed architect, Antoni Gaudí. Barcelona is a very cosmopolitan city that combines the latest trends with the most typical Spanish traditions. Barcelona offers museums, cinemas, restaurants, clubs, bars, the beach and the mountains, and people from all over the world. Although Spaniards from Barcelona speak both Spanish and Catalán, the mixture of local residents and international visitors makes it an easy city to understand and make yourself understood.
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, Learning and Engagement Badge Program, and more!
Additional Program Information
- *Minimum 2.75 G.P.A. *Open to juniors and seniors (at time of application) *Open to all levels of Spanish speakers *Students who wish to take advanced-level Spanish courses must have completed 4 semesters of college-level Spanish or the equivalent *Valid passport
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.