- San Jose, Costa Rica
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester, Summer
- Program Description:
- Lush cloud forests. Sunny beaches. Unparalleled biodiversity. A range of opportunities to hone your Spanish skills and immerse in local culture -- and live the pura vida lifestyle. Study abroad in Costa Rica with CEA for a semester, a summer, or a short-term and discover all that this Central American country has to offer! Nestled between the Pacific Ocean to the west and the Caribbean Sea to the east, Costa Rica is not only known for its stunning natural beauty, but for its commitment to democracy and peace -- the country hasn't had a standing army in more than 40 years and boasts more teachers than policemen. Study with CEA in the bustling capital of San Jose at our partner institutions, Veritas University and Universidad latinoamericana de Ciencia y Tecnologia, and choose from a range of course offerings that meet your academic, career, and personal interests. Focus on international business, intensive Spanish language, medical Spanish and health sciences; gain hands-on experience with an internship or a service learning program in rural Pejibaye near the cultural and historical center of Cartago; or complete an on-site tropical field study in a country known for its environmental conservation efforts.
Choose the academic program that best suits your college degree and general elective needs. CEA strategically partners with two universities in Costa Rica: Veritas University and Universidad Latinoamericana de Ciencia y Tecnologia (ULACIT). Veritas University offers an excellent international program for foreign students on a small, intimate campus that makes it easy for students to interact. ULACIT is an acclaimed Costa Rican institution that's ranked as the number one private university in the country. Participate in cultural activities designed to engage you with the university community and immerse into local culture. Intensive language programs are available in a variety of lengths, from intensive month to semester sessions, to suit students’ needs.
All CEA students receive personalized assistance from admissions counselors and site specialists who are available to answer all of your questions. We give you the tools you need to plan the study abroad experience of a lifetime. Upon arrival, students are met at the airport and go through an orientation for their new home away from home. On-site staff is there to help you along the way. Program price includes: housing, excursions, cultural activities, transcripts, and more.
- Setting Description:
- The capital city of Costa Rica, San Jose, boasts about 1.4 million people and is situated in the Central Valley, where it's guarded by majestic volcanoes and tropical rain forests. Live like a local in one of two CEA housing options –residencias or homestays – depending on your comfort zone, budget, or level of independence. Delve deeper into San José through CEA-organized cultural activities that enable you to connect directly and meaningfully with the local and national cultures.
- Program price varies. Check CEA's website for up-to-date information.
Based on 2 Reviews
- There is no program quite like CEA San José03/01/18
I loved study abroad, but I would not have been able to overcome some obstacles without the help of my CEA family! Anytime I had a problem, Maggie (the director) was there to help me. You can tell CEA San José staff members care about their students,
and some of my friends in other programs didn't have that support system. CEA is the perfect mix of caring and allowing students to enjoy the freedom of studying abroad. Tuesdays we had yoga or fresh fruit available at the office, we had a professional development workshop, and we had monthly cultural events. I learned how to cook Costa Rican food, and I saw a Costa Rica v. Panamá soccer game! Those experiences are ones that I might not have had without being a part of CEA's program. The staff members can also tutor you in Spanish or lend you Spanish books. It was nice sometimes to get out of my host family's house and chill at the CEA office. Quiero a mi familia tica!read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend
- Beautiful Country, Even More Beautiful Experience: Journey to True Pura Vida11/16/16
I studied w/ CEA for an entire semester; I ,specifically, did the Medical Spanish & Health Sciences program. I had an amazing semester that truly changed my life (that sounds cliche but it is sooo true). The on-site staff (Maggie and Leo) are amazing,
and they do a great job of helping you navigate through the semester. Each are invaluable resources. I lived with a host family via a homestay. My family was so welcoming and really were a huge part of why my time in CR was beautiful. Costa Rica is a lovely country that exemplifies love and enjoying life. The program includes everything from room and board (breakfast and dinner), health insurance, excursions to help with registering for classes. I learned so much spanish while I was there; I use the medical spanish at work daily. overall, it is an A+ program; My time in CR would not have been as amazing if I had not went with CEA.read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend