- Foumban, Cameroon; Buea, Cameroon
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Fall Semester
- Program Description:
Carleton College, one of the nation’s top liberal arts colleges, now operates Globalization and Sustainable Development in Cameroon, an expansion of Antioch Education Abroad’s Community Development in Cameroon program.
The Globalization and Sustainable Development in Cameroon program allows students to engage in meaningful local development projects in an enriching cross-cultural learning environment. Students develop a foundation for global citizenship while learning about traditional and contemporary Cameroonian lifestyles and customs. Participants live and work with local families, study French, and explore indigenous, Christian, Islamic, colonial, and global influences on current social conditions.
Rigorous study, experiential group workshops, extended homestays, an independent research project, diverse guest lecturers, focused field trips, and apprenticeship/internships with local NGOs are integrated into an exciting multi-faceted educational experience that supports each participant’s personal and intellectual growth.
During the apprenticeship/internship, students study and work with an established NGO in a field that may include environmental science, education, social justice, land conservation, democracy, civil society, agriculture, child advocacy, sustainable alternative energy, women’s empowerment, public health, plant biology, wildlife conservation, biodiversity, heritage/tourism, organic farming, or micro-finance. Through observation of, interaction with, and participation in the life of local NGO staff/mentors, the apprenticeship/internship offers students practical hands-on experience.
- Setting Description:
- This program is offered in collaboration with the University of Buea (UB), the largest English-speaking university in bilingual Cameroon, and the Institute of Fine Arts in Foumban. The program also includes site visits to Limbe, Kumba, Bamenda, and the surrounding grasslands.
Additional Program Information
- Must be in good standing at an accredited U.S. or Canadian college or university
- Scholarships Description:
- Global Engagement Scholarships are need-based, ranging from $1000 to $2000. A completed program application is required to apply for a Global Engagement Scholarship.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program