- Trento, Italy
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Program Description:
- Study in the beautiful Alpine region of Northeast Italy known for its breathtaking views, crystal glacier lakes and convergence of Italian and German culture.
- Analyze the complex interaction between people and their environment by focusing on sustainability and the food industry or public engagement with the past. Review it all from the Italian Alps’ perspective, a place renowned for its distinctive history, heritage, environment, and commitment to sustainability.
- Choose a truly immersive academic program that combines interactive classwork, outdoor educational activities, and visits with local organizations. You can also challenge yourself to get the most of your time in Italy by taking both courses!
CULTURAL ACTIVITIES & EXCURSIONS
Possible BCA excursions and cultural activities…
- Bolzano: Tour the capital city of the Alto Adige/Südtirol region bordering Switzerland and Austria. This city is known for its medieval castles, jagged limestone mountain peaks and South Tyrol Museum of Archaeology.
- Trento: Visit the state-of-the-art science museum in Trentino’s capital city. Enjoy the museum’s rooftop garden, Glacial Experience and Biodiversity Labyrinth.
- Adamello Brenta Nature Park: Participate in a multi-day residential mountain lab where you’ll focus on mountain history or agriculture and local food production.
The Trentino program is designed to create intense cultural immersion opportunities for students interested in history or sustainability. You can take an experience-based course in public history focused on Alpine Italy and its thousands of years of history as a frontier area in the very heart of Europe. Or take the course “Sustainability, Food, and Landscapes in the Italian Alps” which considers issues of global concern such as sustainable agriculture practices, climate change and resource management with Trentino as your case study. In both courses, you will begin the program through a structured virtual pre-semester course component before traveling to the Italy where the Alpine region becomes your classroom as you visit villages, meet with local experts and connect to businesses and organizations.
Your BCA Trentino Resident Director, a native of Trentino’s capital Trento, will introduce you to the exceptional natural resources and warm hospitality that characterizes the region. You will also have opportunities to meet local students and young professionals through various community-based groups focused on connecting residents to the natural resources of the area. The region itself is known as an outdoor paradise where you can participate in biking, trekking and other outdoor sports. If you’re interested in the arts, Trentino has a wide variety of galleries, castles and museums, as well as historical and archaeological sites to visit during your summer.
- Setting Description:
- Trentino is strategically situated on one of the major corridors that connect Italy with Northern Europe; thanks to efficient high-speed trains, major Italian cities (Verona, Venice, Milan, Florence, Rome), Austria and Germany are just a few hours away. Trentino is home to varieties of Parmesan cheese, the northernmost production of olive oil in the world, award-winning wines, and protected brands of apples. Trentino is a major European tourist destination for both winter and summer holidays, with about 3,500,000 visitors per year. The lakeside municipality of Nago-Torbole is in the vibrant Lake Garda district: a Mediterranean pocket surrounded by imposing mountains, internationally renowned for its natural beauty, cultural attractions, and sports activities.
- Program fees are updated yearly on the BCA website.
Additional Program Information
- GPA: 2.6
- Scholarships Description:
- BCA Study Abroad has committed to increasing the number of study abroad students from diverse ethnic, faith, sexual orientation & gender identity and socio-economic backgrounds. Visit the BCA website for more information about scholarships.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program