- Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester, Summer
- Program Description:
Students looking for a challenging environment in which to pursue their academic studies while gaining intimate knowledge of Central Asian history, politics, and culture should consider studying with the AUCA-Bard Study Abroad Program. The major components of the AUCA-Bard program include a full academic program through which students directly enroll in courses at the American University of Central Asia, a cultural program with one excursion every two weeks, dormitory housing, and internship/volunteer opportunities with organizations located in Bishkek.
Founded in 1998 on the basis of an American liberal-arts style curriculum, AUCA ranks among Central Asia’s most prestigious universities. Program participants take courses side-by-side with students from 25 countries, learning from the experiences and perspectives of a truly international student body. Visiting students take a full academic course load at AUCA, choosing from a broad range of liberal arts courses in an array of departments, including anthropology, economics, international politics, journalism, law, sociology, and comparative literature. The language of instruction is English; courses in Kyrgyz, Russian, and many other languages are offered.
This program will be particularly attractive to students with an interest in Central Asian Studies, post-Soviet Studies, or Russian and Central Asian languages. At the same time, students with an interest in art, human rights, anthropology, politics, literature, sociology, or another related field will find many engaging educational opportunities at AUCA. Bishkek is also an exciting city for students interested in development. With more than 100 NGOs operating in Bishkek, there are many opportunities to intern or volunteer. AUCA-Bard staff can assist students interested in these opportunities to prepare their resume, or to connect with new organizations.
- Setting Description:
- Bishkek is a modern capital city with a population of 900,000, located in northern Kyrgyzstan. Bishkek sits in the Chuy Valley, along the ancient Silk Road trading route. The Ala-Too range of the Tian Shen mountains is visible from the city center, giving downtown Bishkek a stunning view of its surrounding environs. Students are able to explore much of what the city, country and region have to offer through the AUCA-Bard cultural program. The program includes day excursions within Bishkek to local museums and performances, as well as weekend trips to surrounding national parks where there is hiking, skiing, horseback riding, and camping. Once a semester, there is also a long-weekend trip to another state in the region. Last semester, students took a trip to Uzbekistan.
- Please visit the Bard Abroad website for costs associated with this program. USD.
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- Please visit the Bard Abroad website for information on available scholarship options.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program