- Monflanquin, France
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Fall Semester, Spring Semester, Summer
- Program Description:
- "TECHNIQUE MIXTE" PAINTING WORKSHOP teaches an approach to painting known as the "technique mixte", which has its antecedents with the early Northern Masters (Jan van Eyck).
This technique employs a tempera underpainting over which oil colours are glazed.
The technique enables the artist to achieve a profoundly intricate level of detail and greater luminosity of colour than oil paint alone can produce.
This studio art course is geared to both beginning and advanced students. The only prerequisite is an intermediate to accomplished level of drawing and a serious attitude towards the craft of painting. The painting courses run three times a year; these TWO month courses take place in Villeneuve sur Lot.
The name Medici is synonymous with Renaissance. The french word "atelier" means studio or workshop. Originating during the Renaissance and continuing through the 19th century, ateliers served as a place for master artists to create their own work and to teach a cadre of followers the "craft" of painting. This has all but disappeared with the advent of Modern Art where technique has been eschewed in favor of aesthetic theory.
- Setting Description:
- The Atelier is located in Villeneuve sur Lot in the South West of France. It is a well-preserved bastide village in Aquitaine. The Aquitaine region includes not only prehistoric caves, villages and rolling river valleys of the Dordogne and the Bordeaux vineyards, but also the medieval castles and villages in the Lot-et-Garonne.
- Two month Workshop (192 hours instruction - 3200 Euros Self Catered accomodations near the Atelier can be viewed on LINKS ,on our website
Based on 2 Reviews
- Enjoyable, informative painting course11/12/13
Loved this painting program! It definitely improved my painting skills. I learned a lot under the master painter, Greg. The local classmates were very welcoming. The studio was in the middle of town- walking distance to most places in the quaint village.
The town is very small and quiet. This may be a con for those who like big city experiences. But it's the perfect environment for studying painting. Also incredible places like Barcelona are a short train ride away.read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend
- Phenomenal experience!10/10/13
Greg Pelizzari is an incredible mentor, not only does he fully involve himself in his students, but he ensures their artistic development and encompasses the true art spirit. His atelier is like none other that I have experienced. It is more than an academic
learning; the experience is a journey into one's own art psyche. In the two months that I strolled daily across the charming Lot River, in less than ideal weather, I encountered a new self at each of Greg's sessions. The experience was far more than just gaining a new skill, it was truly a life changing journey...philosophy, history, and art in one package. The Mixte technique is well worth investing the time and money to learn, and, with Greg, one gains an understanding of the art spirit.read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend