ISSS 2013 will host prominent lecturers with vast experience in the field of Institutional Reform, Rule of Law, Human Rights and Transitional Justice. As a concept to address and prevent further violations of human rights and rule of law, transitional jus
- Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Program Description:
- Association "PRAVNIK" together with the partner organization Konrad Adenauer Stiftung-Rule of Law Program South East Europe will be offering International Summer School Sarajevo 2013 course on Institutional Reform in the light of European Integrations in countries of South East Europe from 17– 27 July 2013
The program encourages applications from graduate and PhD students of law and related disciplines and young professionals (under the age of 35); including a limited number of undergraduate students from South East Europe, Europe and the US.
ISSS 2013 will host prominent lecturers with vast experience in the field of Institutional Reform, Rule of Law, Human Rights and Transitional Justice. As a concept to address and prevent further violations of human rights and rule of law, transitional justice represents a fascinating compilation of different sets of mechanisms that have been put into force or discussed as applicable in emerging democracies or post- conflict countries. As a topic of the summer school, lecturing and discussing about transitional justice, for students of majority of universities represents a novelty as transitional justice is still rarely being taught from an academic perspective. Furthermore, as transitional justice encompasses so many different components, starting from legal and political, to moral, through its program, the summer school enables students to learn new things and increase their current understanding of challenges that transitional justice brings to countries where it is being implemented. Therefore, it is very important to educate youth on most current issues that are not being properly addressed through educational system. In most countries of SEE, regardless of efforts invested into overcoming challenges of establishing democratic societies, legacy of past still seems to be occupying (too) much space in lives of people in SEE. Faced with obligations and commitments with strong European and democratic legacy, emerging democracies and post- conflict countries are grasping to cope with new goals that are put in front of them with the aim to allow them accession to EU. Institutional reform represents one of the most crucial issues to go from one point to another as countries have to resolve issues of institutional reforms, such as judiciary, police and administration, before they can commit themselves to EU principles. Of course, before they are able to do so, countries have to deal with the past, make changes in education system and establish human rights protection mechanisms. Therefore, looking at paths of institutional reforms of countries of South East European region, having in mind their versatile historical, political and economic background, will be focus of the curriculum along with their ability to respond to request of EU integrations to become a part of a European family.
· To empower future decision makers to work to establish the Rule of Law and Human Rights system in transitional countries. · To widen theoretical and practical skills of participants. · To influence changes in transitional countries towards sustainable Rule of Law and the respect of Human Rights.
- Setting Description:
- Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina. Accommodation is offered at the Franciscan Students' Hostel in double bedded rooms. The Hostel is at 15 minute walking distance from the city centre in safe and peaceful surroundings.
- 200€ for accommodation, meals and working materials. Students from Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Romania, the Republic of Moldova, and Serbia are eligible to apply for a participation fee reduction of 50%. Travel costs are not covered by this fee and each participant should take care of personal travel arrangements.