- San Jose, Costa Rica
- Program Type:
- Volunteer Abroad
- Degree Level:
- High School
- Work Types:
- Animals, Children, Economic Development, Environment
- 1-2 weeks, 1-3 months
- Program Description:
Students seeking adventure and fun, as well as, having a desire to share their time and talents with their host community, are ideally suited for the Costa Rica community service trip. In just a short two-week stay, the program will expose participants to the multifacted beauty of Costa Rica: its hospitable and warm culture, its "pura vida" (pure life) mantra, and its commitment to protecting and exploring biodiversity.
Students have the opportunity to serve through environmental and sustaninable development service or can volunteer in organizations that support populations in need such as children or senior citizens. No matter which option students choose, they will find themselves giving back to the community and culture of Costa Rica in a meaningful, positive way.
All meals, events and activities, including a visit to a hot spring (heated by a local volcano) and a zipline outing, are included in the cost of the program. One year of Spanish or the equivalent is required for admission. Upon completion of this program students will receive a certificate documenting 30 hours of community service.
- Setting Description:
- Costa Rica is a country of natural beauty, political stability, friendly people, and a temperate climate. Since dismantling its army in 1948, it has been known around the world as one of the most stable countries in Latin America and has often been a mediator in other Central American conflicts. The international community acknowledged this contribution in 1987 by presenting President Oscar Arias with the Nobel Peace Prize. Costa Rica has devoted itself to environmental conservation and educational achievement. Today, Costa Rica’s National Conservation Areas System (SINAC) covers more than 134 areas - national parks, reserves, and refuges - comprising roughly 27 percent of the national territory. This commitment provides an abundance of natural wonders and biodiversity - a paradise for naturalists and wildlife. The relatively small size of the country allows one to explore the beach, jungle and mountains all in one day.
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, and more!
Additional Program Information
- Minimum 3.0 G.P.A. Open to high school students ages 15-18 only (completing grades 9-11). Students must have completed at least one year of high school Spanish or the equivalent.
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program