- Rangoon, Myanmar
- Program Type:
- Intern Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Work Types:
- Business, Law, Social Sciences
- Program Description:
The American University of Myanmar (“AUM”) is the first institution to offer a full-time study abroad/internship program in Myanmar. The curriculum focuses on doing business in emerging markets and offering thought-provoking courses directly related to business challenges facing the country today. Yangon is a vibrant city with a warm culture. Students will engage in the local cultural activities and have the option to participate in a variety of excursions around the country.
Students will receive 15 credits hours upon successful completion of this program. Classes will be taught by highly qualified American professionals working in Myanmar who are experiencing the challenges of doing business in an emerging market. Real life case studies from their work will be used to illustrate the needs of a new market, and will focus on finance, business law and marketing. Students will strengthen the content of their classes and put theories into practice by participating in unpaid internships with companies operating in Myanmar. Internships will be 20 hours per week for 15 weeks totaling 300 contact hours. Placements are carefully made based on applicant interests, and expose interns to the numerous challenges of doing business in an emerging market such as Myanmar. Opportunities for Myanmar language study will be available at an additional cost.
Studying abroad allows students to emerge themselves in another culture, gain a broader global perspective and make connections with people from all over the world. Living and learning in a country as it’s opening after several decades of isolation provides a rare insight into a very new emerging market. Studying in Myanmar offers a unique opportunity to witness a country in transition and live through a significant historical moment. Students will be among the first to have studied abroad in Myanmar since the 2015 elections. The classes will be focus on current country challenges, and the internship will give students tangible work experience with reputable companies. Global work experience is highly sought after by employers.
- Setting Description:
- Myanmar is a beautiful country situated between Thailand, India and China, and our program is based in the largest and most bustling city, Yangon. There is a surprising amount of English and people are very friendly. Yangon is a very safe city with considerably less crime than other countries. Crimes against foreigners are almost nonexistent due to strict and enforced laws prohibiting this. Yangon is covered with lush vegetation and students can expect a warm, tropical climate. Yangon is bustling city that offers a variety of activities. Students can visit the Shwedagon Pagoda, ride the circle train around the city, shop in local markets, visit Negar Glass Factory or the neighboring rural town of Dala. Yangon has a variety of dining options ranging from delicious traditional Burmese curries and Shan Noodle dishes to western comfort foods.
- Tuition (15 credits) -$12,500 Housing/Student Service Fee- $4,500 (including housing, overseas medical insurance and Myanmar excursions) Total Program Charges -$17,000 ESTIMATED ADDITIONAL EXPENSES – not included in Program Charges Bar/Food -$2,250 Airfare - $1,650* Local Transportation - $500 Books - $100 Visa/Immigration Requirements - $400 Personal spending - $1,000
Additional Program Information
- You must have completed at least one semester on a university or college campus having earned a minimum GPA of 2.75 and be in good academic standing before you are eligible to study abroad at the American University of Myanmar. The Entrepreneurship and Emerging Markets: Myanmar – A Country in Transition program is particularly suited to business majors. However, students from any discipline are welcome.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program