The participants in our internships are young hard working individuals who want to develop their marine skills and are willing to support AIMM work. No previous experience with marine mammals is required to participate in the program. We expect that the
- Albufeira, Portugal; Faro, Portugal
- Program Type:
- Intern Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Work Types:
- Animal Sciences, Sciences & Environment
- Program Description:
- AIMM Portugal is a non for profit, non governmental association with international scope focussed on the research and conservation of marine species that inhabit the north Atlantic Ocean. We currently develop an on-going study of the distribution, behavior and threats of marine mammals (specifically whales and dolphins) in the South of Portugal. Our work is developed in partnership with dolphin-watching companies and we are in process of acquiring a dedicated vessel for acoustic and census of marine life. AIMM also gives time and room to people gain insight in marine biology while contributing to an important study for the conservation of marine species and help raising awareness on major threats and mitigation measures to promote a healthier and safer environment for the species.
The participants in our internships are young hard working individuals who want to develop their marine skills and are willing to support AIMM work. No previous experience with marine mammals is required to participate in the program. We expect that the interns have a mature attitude toward the marine environment, be independent when informed of the field work that is to be done, reliable and quickly operational.
AIMM internships are designed for those who want to gain experience at sea, know your physical limits, get familiarized with marine species identification and data collection methodologies, as well as, GPS, data entry and preliminary analysis. Interns will play an important role in data collection and raise awareness of the importance of marine species conservation.
- Setting Description:
- The internship is to be conducted in Albufeira, Portugal, and the interns will share accommodation with other interns, researchers, assistants, students, etc. The field work can vary between 2 to 6 hours per day, depending on boat availability. The data collected will be processed at Albufeira's marina or at the accommodation. The intern will be integrated in a familiar, multicultural and environmental friendly environment with some spare time to leisure activities if desired.
- The fee for the internship is 500€ per 7 days, which includes the expenses with accommodation, main meals, training, and field work. The participants will share the duties with cooking and cleaning. In the end, it will be given a certificate of participation and a AIMM t-shirt.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program