Port Elizabeth is located on the Indian Ocean and set along the shores of Nelson Mandela Bay. With moderate climate year round, this area of South Africa is popular for water sports and also many historical attractions. Game viewing is possible at the nea
- Port Elizabeth, South Africa
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, MayMester Intersession, Rolling Starts, Spring Break, Spring Semester, Summer, Winter Semester, Year Round
- Program Description:
- South Africa: Has been called the adventure capital of the world, with its natural beauty and wildlife that leaves visitors awe-struck. The rich culture, the freedom struggle and the friendly people make this a fascinating nation to explore.
With the sounds of the African drum beat; the bright sun, stars and city streets; the natural beauty of the landscape, South Africa is an inviting location and safe for volunteering projects.
Port Elizabeth is located on the Indian Ocean and set along the shores of Nelson Mandela Bay. With moderate climate year round, this area of South Africa is popular for water sports and also many historical attractions. Game viewing is possible at the nearby Addo Elephant National Park. The volunteer project are based in the township of Gqubera. The focus of the ABV program is community support, especially to the children in this township. With help from international volunteers this community is benefitting from support in the local schools, sports programs as well as creches/children's centers.
* Afternoon dance class lessons. Volunteers will interact with the children, give them attention and help create a safe place for them to do something positive. They assist in the dance classes, general care, cooking meals and homework guidance where needed. * School projects: teaching children grade 8-10, support in the library, computer classes, or offering sports activities with the kids. Schools in this township need class assistants, and afterschool project support and remedial reading tutors. Afterschool support sessions for homework guidance. Schools in South Africa 2012 (June25-July13) and (Octoeber1-5th).
- Setting Description:
- Child Care / Orphan Support Support a local children's center (Creche), which supports 30-40 children daily from 8am-2pm. Most children are from poor families, or hosted in the community where they live. At the center they give these children a safe place and the love and care that they need. Volunteers add support to the local staff with individual attention to the kids, supervise play time, support lunch services, reinforce English speaking with lessons and reading/games and help with homework. Afternoon homework guidance and after school project support needed as well.
- Program Includes: Included services to participants: Airport pickup, all transport, accommodation, 24/7 available volunteer coordinator, 3 meals a day, supervision at projects and donation to the project. Accommodation: Host family (private bedroom) or shared volunteer house close to the beach. Requirements: Passion for children and community, being flexible and enthusiastic. Minimum Age: 18 years Working Hours: Generally 6-7 hours a day for 5 days a week Costs are on our website.
Additional Program Information
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program