Middlebury's host institution, the Università degli Studi di Ferrara, was first established in 1391 and today enrolls over 16,000 students. If you choose to study in Ferrara, you will take all of your classes at the Università degli Studi di Ferrara. In
- Ferrara, Italy
- Program Type:
- Intern Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Work Types:
- Arts & Architecture, Business, Education, Journalism, Religion, Sciences & Environment, Social Sciences
- Program Description:
- Middlebury's program in Italy is designed for well-rounded students with strong abilities in written and spoken Italian. Our program emphasizes acquisition of language skills and intellectual development through a curriculum of content-driven language and cultural study exclusively in Italian. We strongly urge all students to enroll in the program for the full academic year: compared to a shorter stay, the linguistic, academic, and personal benefits of a ten-month stay are incalculable.
Middlebury's host institution, the Università degli Studi di Ferrara, was first established in 1391 and today enrolls over 16,000 students. If you choose to study in Ferrara, you will take all of your classes at the Università degli Studi di Ferrara. In your first semester, you will take a course at the Centro Linguistico d'Ateneo that focuses on writing for academic purposes, and attend the university alongside Italian students for the remainder of your courses. Year-long students will enroll exclusively in university courses during their second semester. You can select courses from a wide variety of disciplines including: Anthropology, Architecture, Art History, Biology, Chemistry, Economics, History, Law [Politics], Linguistics, Literature, Mathematics, Philosophy, Psychology, Sociology, and Physics.
Participants in the C.V. Starr-Middlebury Schools Abroad don’t just study a language—they live it. Many of our students major in disciplines other than foreign languages, yet all bring a level of proficiency that supports their commitment to language and cultural immersion. They sign and honor the Middlebury Language Pledge because they want the greatest possible challenge in a study abroad program and an authentic experience in every respect; academic, social, and even professional. Participants take courses in most subjects with host country students, intern or engage in volunteer work, and live with a host family. Indeed, at every juncture of their time abroad, students have the chance to "live the language" and immerse themselves in the host culture.
- Setting Description:
- Ferrara, a city of 130,000 located on the Po river in the Emilia Romagna region is only 30 minutes by train from Bologna and one hour from Venice. Few tourists have discovered Ferrara’s charms, which include magnificent art and architecture from the medieval, Renaissance, and modern eras, and the finest classic Italian cuisine. This former independent city-state emerged in the second half of the twentieth century as a vibrant agricultural and industrial trading center. Ferrara’s historic center, a favorite walking venue, is filled with monuments, palazzos, cafes, and a renowned cathedral. Bicycles are a primary means of transportation, giving the center the feel of a small and friendly community. Ferrara's museums, exhibitions, festivals, and theater reflect its rich artistic, musical, and cultural heritage, which continues to grow and make it an ideal location for immersion into Italian life and culture.
- Semester Tuition (includes health insurance): $13,800. Year Tuition (includes health insurance): $27,600
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program