- Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, MayMester Intersession, Spring Semester, Summer, Winter Semester
- Program Description:
Study Spanish, read literature, and learn about Argentine culture in the urban landscape of Buenos Aires, a city of 15 million. Wander the busy avenues and beautiful neighborhoods, visit a parrilla for a juicy rib-eye steak, and dance to pulsing electronica in one of many trendy nightclubs. Learn and experience the Spanish language as well as global and cultural issues. Extracurricular activities—sampling food, reading literature and experiencing music and dance—will increase your understanding of Argentine culture.
This program is for you if you are interested in improving your Spanish or gaining a deeper understanding of Argentine and Latin American culture and need to fulfill liberal education requirements. If you need two years of language to get a BA, this program is a great way to study beginning and intermediate Spanish.
Semester students can choose from 1,000- to 3,000-level Spanish courses, elective courses taught in English, and a service-learning course. Winter break students select one course, depending on their level of proficiency. During the summer, only Spanish language courses are offered.
- Setting Description:
- The elegance of Europe and the spirit of South America live side by side in Buenos Aires. Founded by immigrants along the shores of the Rio de la Plata, Buenos Aires built its identity on Spanish, Italian, and French influences, which appear in the grand boulevards, expansive parks, and magnificent architecture. While exploring the city's neighborhoods, visit the small colored houses of La Boca and experience the popular tango that lives in San Telmo streets.
Additional Program Information
- 2.5 GPA; freshmen and above; American degree-seeking students
- Scholarships Description:
- The Learning Abroad Center’s Study Abroad Scholarship provides awards for non-University of Minnesota undergraduate students going on eligible Learning Abroad Center credit-bearing programs.