- London, United Kingdom
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Program Description:
- You’re living and learning in London, a city of 8 million people from every corner of the world. Your courses have a British accent, and so do many of your instructors. As an undergrad or a graduate student, you’re researching a topic of your choice, in institutions few Americans ever have a chance to visit. Soon you’ll be off with your class doing field research for 4 nights in Edinburgh, Manchester, York, Brighton, or wherever your professor and your class lead you. Then you’ll have time to continue your travels alone or with friends, for 4 nights of discovering Europe on your own terms. Welcome to British Studies. Your world for 4 nonstop weeks.
Your world is about to be rocked by a powerful British beat. Just as ideas that started in London have changed the world countless times, the ideas, perspectives and professors you’ll encounter here will change your world as no other academic experience can. London will be your classroom. One day you could be attending a lecture on the grounds of the Imperial War Museum, and the next you’ll be in Churchill’s War Rooms learning about the strategies developed here that ultimately defeated Nazi Germany. Program details: 6 credits earned over 4 weeks Courses taught by British and European scholars, artists, business leaders and government officials Every course includes a 4-night LondonAWAY! experience. Destinations include some of the major cities of the U.K. (Edinburgh, Manchester, York, Brighton, etc.). Every course includes at least 2 academic visits outside of London led by UK, EU and American professors. Typical destinations include Oxford, Bath, Dover and Stratford-upon-Avon Every course requires a supervised research project on a topic related to your studies Credit hours are awarded by The University of Southern Mississippi, a fully accredited institution of higher learning Minimum program eligibility requirements include the completion of at least 28 semester hours or director consent, with an overall 2.0 GPA for undergraduates, and graduate standing for graduate students. Students also must satisfy any additional prerequisites described under the individual course listings.
Your investment in British Studies will pay you back a lifetime’s worth of professional and personal dividends. Do you ever wonder how people you admire got ahead in the first place? Ask them. Most will tell you that they worked harder and did more than their peers to achieve their success. In today’s globally connected world, that means having British Studies on your resume as something you did to double down on yourself when you had the chance.
- Setting Description:
- To walk across London is to travel through time and space. One minute you’re standing next to ancient Roman ruins, and the next, you’re on a street where the music you’ll hear everywhere tomorrow is being created today. Walking side by side with people from virtually every culture on earth, you’ll feel your horizons expanding with every step. As the folks you buy morning coffee from tell you about the lives they led in the Ukraine before coming to live where you do now, on the South Bank of London’s beloved River Thames, you will experience first hand what it means to live in a truly global village. What’s missing? Just you, walking under the moonlight and stars, to cross “your” river and bridge home from a play you dreamed of seeing since your childhood. And you, taking some reflective time to look again at Big Ben’s tower on one side and St. Paul’s Cathedral on the other. While the rush of the river is drowned out by a flood of buses and rickshaws all around you, Stamford Street
- The 2015 program cost for credit is $7200. The cost includes the following: program deposit ($250 due by application/deposit deadline listed below) round trip international airfare* tuition for 6 semester hours housing in London shared use of a kitchen in London LondonAWAY! outbound transportation housing during LondonAWAY! required museum visits, theater events and other academic activities required academic excursions (*Students wishing to make their own f
Based on 2 Reviews
- I loved British Studies Program09/14/15
My class spent the first and last day of classes actually in a classroom and every other day we spent out and about in London. We saw plays, went to museums, had discussions in cafes, and so much more. There are also lots of different classes, so you
can definitely find something that interests you and applies to whatever you are studying.read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend
- British Studies Program07/08/12I went two years in a row, it was so amazing and I'd go again if I could! Studied Library and Information Science through field trips, workshops, behind the scenes tours, side trips to France, Scotland, Oxford, and more!Bottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend