- Manchester, United Kingdom
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
A world leader with an urban and welcoming vibe
Today’s University of Manchester, a member of the elite Russell Group, is ranked among the top 40 institutions in the world. The present university was created in 2004 by the amalgamation of Victoria University of Manchester and the University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology (UMIST). It is home to over 40,000 students, and is ranked as the 23rd most international university in the world. Manchester maintains a commitment to accessible, inclusive, and international learning that is blended and flexible.
Manchester’s origins began with two institutions: a college funded by a wealthy industrialist in the mid-nineteenth century; and an early nineteenth-century institute dedicated to the education of working men. At the initial founding of each institution, the focus on education in the world’s first industrial city recognized research as a key priority, and today’s Manchester is a leading world research institution that boasts 25 Nobel Prize winners among its ranks.
An urban campus with a lower cost of living than London is of great appeal to international students, who also benefit from Manchester’s reputation for academic excellence. It’s an experience in a big city in a distinct part of England, with one of the largest libraries in Great Britain, an active Students’ Union with over 200 clubs and societies on offer, and other cultural amenities, including an art gallery, museum, and theater, along with access to thriving music and sports scenes.
Manchester has particular academic strengths in theology, life sciences, psychology, fashion retailing, education, pre-law and engineering. In addition, the Alliance Manchester Business school is AACSB-accredited.
The campus blends into the surrounding city, the second-largest metropolitan area outside of London. Manchester is young, vibrant, and diverse, bustling with music, culture, sports— with a more affordable cost of living, and an urban and welcoming vibe.
Travel to fascinating places of interest that enhance your cultural immersion and give a meaningful context to your academic courses. Here is a sampling:
- Harry Potter Studio Tour
- Tower of London
- London Street Art Tour
- Hampton Court Day Excursion
- Keats house
- and more...
Arcadia is a nationally recognized leader in higher education, offering exceptional study, research and internship experiences for students from colleges and universities across the US. Our unique combination of customized, diverse academic programming and comprehensive support allows students to explore new worlds, get to know themselves, boost their resumes for future job opportunities and graduate school, and experience the incredible growth and shifts in perspective that a culturally immersive experience can deliver.
- Setting Description:
- The large university campus absorbs and blends into the surrounding city of Manchester making for a dynamic university/city relationship. Considered by many to be the "capital" of northern England, the city pulses with energy. In addition to on-campus housing and student residences a short walk away, you can also live in the "Student Village" located in the Manchester suburb of Fallowfield. Travel to fascinating places of interest that enhance your cultural immersion and give a meaningful context to your academic courses. Here is a sampling of Arcadia's Excursions - for a complete list, please visit our website. · Stonehenge & Bath · Adventure Weekend in Wales · Windsor Castle · Royal Ascot · and more...
- Visit our website to find out more about tuition costs and what's included when studying abroad with Arcadia
Additional Program Information
- 3.0 - Recommended 3.0 - For Consideration
- Scholarships Description:
- Every dollar helps! Check out our website for different funding sources for study abroad...