- Perugia, Italy
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
A fascinating exploration of international food cultures
ISI Perugia - The Umbra Institute, located in the medieval city of Perugia, Italy, is home to the unique and innovative Center for Food and Sustainability Studies. This Center's mission is to focus on food systems, sustainability and the environment, and it has created many opportunities for study and research, including a semester program open to Arcadia Abroad students. You will take three courses in food studies, an Italian language course, and an elective of your choice. Each course includes a series of excursions and activities including guest lecturers, site visits, and hands-on experience. Program activities have included:
- Weekend field trip to Modena and Parma to see balsamic vinegar, Parmesan cheese, and prosciutto production facilities;
- Visit to FICO Eataly World Bologna with tour and tasting lunch;
- Workshops with local experts, topics may include Italian-style coffee, microbrewery beer, wine, & Italian aperitivo;
- Italian cooking classes in Umbra’s Didactic Kitchen;
- Visits to local farm-to-table and Fair Trade restaurants;
- Hands-on experience in ISI Perugia’s Didactic Garden;
- Day trips to Dario Cecchini the Tuscan butcher (Panzano in Chianti);
- Truffle hunting in the Apennine Mountains;
- Welcome and farewell dinners
A hallmark of the ISI Perugia - The Umbra Institute programs is community engagement so you'll have many opportunities to get to know the locals and really sample Italian life.
You will explore how we as individuals and as communities relate to issues around food in Italy, America, and globally. This is done through different angles - history, sociology, cultural studies, anthropology, business, politics, science, agriculture, and sustainability.
Travel to fascinating places of interest that enhance your cultural immersion and give a meaningful context to your academic courses. Here is a sampling:
- Amalfi Coast
- Film Series
- Roman Baths and Wine Vineyards in Viterbo
- and more...
Arcadia is a nationally recognized leader in higher education, offering exceptional study, research and internship experiences for students from colleges and universities across the US. Our unique combination of customized, diverse academic programming and comprehensive support allows students to explore new worlds, get to know themselves, boost their resumes for future job opportunities and graduate school, and experience the incredible growth and shifts in perspective that a culturally immersive experience can deliver.
- Setting Description:
- Nestled between colorful cafes, restaurants, museums, and art galleries in the historical center, the Umbra Institute houses a library, computer facilities, art studios, student lounge, and multimedia classrooms. Travel to fascinating places of interest that enhance your cultural immersion and give a meaningful context to your academic courses. Here is a sampling of Arcadia's Excursions - for a complete list, please visit our website. · Amalfi Coast · Film Festivals · Trip to Roman Baths and Wine Vineyards · Explore Agriturismo, Outdoor Markets, Food and Flavors · and more...
- Visit our website to find out more about tuition costs and what's included when studying abroad with Arcadia
Additional Program Information
- 2.75 Recommended 2.5 For Consideration
- Scholarships Description:
- Every dollar helps! Check out our website for different funding sources for study abroad...