API was founded in 1997 by four women dedicated to providing high-quality, affordable study abroad programs for U.S. students. Their diverse experiences abroad, first as students and later as professionals, shaped their philosophy on the value of international education as a means of promoting intellectual curiosity, cultural sensitivity, and holistic personal development. API firmly believes that extensive pre-departure preparation, coupled with strong support services on-site, facilitates academic, cultural and linguistic learning. Within the supportive environment of the API programs, API students are encouraged to explore their host communities and become increasingly independent and confident in their own abilities. API also believes that study abroad should be an activity that is accessible to as many students as possible, and in that vein, seeks to include as many components in the program price as possible for students at a low cost.
API programs offer U.S. college and university students the opportunity to earn college credit toward their degree programs in the U.S. by completing coursework in a wide variety of disciplines, including such fields as business, the social sciences, medical studies and the arts. In combination with its academic offerings, API strives to maximize each student's potential for personal growth through well-designed orientation programs, extensive cultural and social outings, carefully selected housing options, and a variety of excursions. API takes student safety seriously and provides extensive safety information, medical and evacuation insurance, and 24-hour emergency access to directors on site to ensure that students stay healthy and happy abroad.
API has grown rapidly since its founding nearly 20 years ago. We now send more than 4,000 students and participants abroad annually to over 50 cities within twenty-nine countries in Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America, the Middle East and Oceania. Our success is owed in large part to the dedication of our staff, both stateside and abroad, and the strong relationships we have cultivated with partner universities. We strive to provide individual attention to every participant and attract students from colleges and universities across the United States, public and private, large and small.
Programs from API
- APIThe Spanish Language and Culture program focuses on Spanish grammar, conversation and culture.
- APIThis is a concentrated language and culture program for students at all levels that focuses on grammar, conversation, and Spanish culture.
- APIStudents who participate in this program will live with host families. This is an intensive language and culture program open to all grade levels with college intermediate and above Spanish skills.
- APIThis program is designed for pre-med and nursing students wishing to study the Costa Rican healthcare system. It is available to sophomores, juniors, and seniors who already have 4 or more semesters of college-level Spanish.
- APIThis program is designed for American interested in taking Spanish languages classes with electives taught in Spanish. Students will live in a host family. Students may elect for community service opportunities.
- APIThis program is designed for students interested in taking a few Spanish classes with electives taught in either Spanish or English. Students will live with a host family located within the city center.
- APIThis program offers advanced Spanish speakers the opportunity to study art and design abroad by taking integrated courses with local Costa Rican students in the areas of advertising design, architecture, photography, interior design, product design, etc.
- APIThe International Center for Development Studies (ICDS) offers a 6-week program for students who want to increase their knowledge of business Spanish and gain greater insight into corporate social responsibility, ethics, and sustainable development.
- APIThis program is ideal for students wanting to concentrate in the healthcare fields. Students just need one year of college Spanish to apply.
- APIThis program provides an opportunity for students to improve their Spanish language skills, gain professional experience, and earn academic credit toward their degree plan by studying and participating in an study abroad internship in San José.