Programs to volunteer in the USA could combine your passion for making a difference with your dreams of travel. In volunteer in USA programs, you won’t just come for a visit. You’ll also experience what America is really like. You could meet and work alongside people from all walks of life. And you could use your talents to make the world a better place while you do it! Some programs may even let you practice your language skills while you’re at it. See the world, learn something new, and do what you love. Sound like a great opportunity? Keep reading to learn more.
Why Volunteer in the USA?
Volunteer in the USA programs might be your opportunity to experience America, and make a difference at the same time! You could work with children or adults, help the environment, or even work in the arts! Whatever your passion, you might get experience in your field while helping make people’s lives better.
But that’s not the only reason to go. Volunteering in America could also be an eye-opening experience. How so? For one, the United States is both physically vast and culturally diverse. As such, there might be no better way to build a more complex understanding of American culture than to volunteer here.
Of course, with how big the United States is (three thousand miles east to west!), what you actually learn may depend on where you go. For example, your experience volunteering in a densely populated Northeastern city like New York City could be polar opposites from somewhere more rural. Between the physical regional differences and local culture, wherever you volunteer in the United States, you could learn a lot.
Speaking of diversity, volunteer opportunities in the United States may also help you build on your language skills! Some programs may offer formal English language education to supplement your experience. That means you could study English, and then practice what you’ve learned on your volunteer project. While the primary language in most of the United States is English, a variety of other languages are spoken in communities across the country. As such, it’s possible you might be able to practice speaking other languages while you’re there as well, like Spanish. If that’s something you’re specifically looking for, follow up with your selected volunteer projects in USA for more information.
Best of all, volunteer opportunities in the US could give you the chance to explore the United States! Some programs may build travel experiences into your volunteer program. Even if that’s not the case, you could spend your free time living the American life, and exploring all your local community has to offer.
Volunteer Opportunities in the United States
Volunteer projects in USA could allow you to follow your passions—and use them to help make the world a better place! Whether you want to gain experience in your field of study, or try something new, there’s sure to be a volunteer program in the United States that suits your interests. Some potential avenues for you to consider include:
- Volunteer with Animals in the United States: Whether you want to work in veterinary medicine, or love conservation and wildlife, by volunteering in the United States, you could get that hands-on experience you’re after.
- Volunteer in Healthcare in the United States: Passionate about helping people live healthy lives? Dedicate your time volunteering in America to helping to provide essential healthcare education services to communities in need!
- Volunteer in the Arts in USA: Whether you study graphic design, love to paint or perform, you could harness that drive to create with a volunteer program in the arts! A variety of unique and creative opportunities could be available.
- Economic Development Volunteer Opportunities: Want to make an impact in your local community while you’re living in the United States? Volunteering in economic development, you might be able to exercise your business acumen and help local businesses succeed!
- Education Volunteering in the United States: Whether you’re studying to be a teacher, or are curious what it might be like, as an education volunteer, you could help improve the lives of children and adults. You might help provide crucial education services to underserved communities. And you could learn what it’s like to be an educator in the United States in the process.
- Help the Environment in America: If you’re passionate about conservation, a variety of exciting volunteer opportunities in the United States could be up your alley. You might help to improve sustainability in local communities, or work in ecology and even wildlife conservation!
- Social Services Volunteering in America: Make a difference in people’s lives while you volunteer in the United States, helping to provide important social services to individuals, families, and your community as a whole.
- Translation Volunteering in the United States: Passionate about language? The United States is a diverse and multi-lingual melting pot. You could volunteer your time providing important translation services, and help make information available to those who need it most.
By choosing volunteer in the USA programs that work for you, you could make the most of your experience abroad. But how do you make that choice? Think about where you want to visit, your interests, your preferred climate, and the amount of time you want to spend in the United States! All of these elements may inform the program you ultimately pick.
Volunteer program lengths could range from a week in the United States to a full year volunteering in America. You might enroll in programs in a variety of locations. For example, want to volunteer in New York City? How about donating your time while exploring an artistic city like Portland or San Francisco? Or maybe you’d like to learn all about American history and government while helping people in Washington DC. These are only a few examples of the diverse places you could experience while volunteering in the United States. By balancing your preferred duration abroad, with your interests and preferred location, you could have an unforgettable experience living and volunteering in America.
Volunteer in the USA: About the United States
Of course, a major aspect of your experience volunteering in America is that you’ll be living there! Your specific experience in the United States may depend on the region you live in, the amount of time you spend there, and the way your program is organized. That’s because the United States is as diverse as it is physically huge, with vibrant regional cultures coloring each of its fifty states.
The continental United States is also referred to as the “contiguous United States” and “The Lower 48.” It spans four time zones, from the Atlantic to the Pacific—and that doesn’t even include Alaska and Hawaii! With all that space, it’s clear why the USA is known for its beautiful and diverse geography. In the United States, you could live in historic and culturally diverse cities, explore the Great Plains, climb mountains, or even take in pristine desert skylines. And that doesn’t even address the diverse people who live there!
The United States has been known historically as a melting pot, and that hasn’t changed! In fact, racial and ethnic diversity is projected to increase over the next few decades, driven in part by an influx of immigrants from Latin American and Asian countries.i This is already reflected in communities across the country in unique ways. You could see American diversity in distinctly ethnic communities like Chinatown, and in the increasingly multifaceted urban, suburban and rural communities. Not to mention the variety of languages spoken in households across the United States, religious traditions, and family structures.
Exploring the United States is sure to be a fascinating experience. Between the unique places you could visit and the diverse friends you could make while you’re there, you could learn a lot while having a great time.
Find Your Program to Volunteer in the USA!
If you’re ready to experience the American life and make a difference, start your search today. StudyAbroad.com could help you find great programs to volunteer in the USA. If you’d like to narrow down your search, use the menu to choose your preferred program duration, city, or the type of work you want to do. Then read up on the sponsored listings, and click on the program names for more information or to get in touch!
Source: [i] pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/03/31/10-demographic-trends-that-are-shaping-the-u-s-and-the-world/