Volunteering in Barcelona, Spain
One of the best ways to engage in a community is to submerse yourself in it. Through volunteer abroad programs in Barcelona, you can do just that. As you contribute your skills to an organization, interact with people on a regular basis, and spend time getting to know the city, you’ll likely find yourself feeling more and more at home. Best of all, you can likely contribute to others and make a difference while doing so. To learn more about what it could be like to volunteer abroad in Barcelona, read on.
What Are the Benefits of Volunteer in Barcelona, Spain Programs?
There are numerous benefits to volunteering abroad in Barcelona, Spain.
First, through a volunteer abroad program in Barcelona, you’ll likely get to connect with a local community through an organization or company. This may help you make friends, develop your professional and academic network, and get to know Barcelonan and Spanish culture and society. For many people, getting to know local members of the community and coming to understand another place more intimately is one of the true gifts of volunteering abroad.
Second, you’ll likely get to contribute to someone or something important to you. You might be able to use your knowledge, skills, and time to improve people’s lives, assist someone with important work, or otherwise take actions that affect change or help a company or organization succeed.
Third, whether the people where you volunteer speak Spanish, Catalan, or another language, you may be able to develop your language skills while you’re volunteering abroad. While you’re volunteering, you may learn the language necessary in a particular field or discipline, and while you’re living everyday life—grocery shopping, ordering coffee or food, interacting with people on the streets, reading a local newspaper, navigating the city, or otherwise engaging with locals and local languages—you’ll likely develop your Spanish or other language-speaking skills.
Finally, you’ll get to spend time in a beautiful city. Located on the northeastern coast of Spain, Barcelona is situated between the Collserola Mountains and the Mediterranean Sea. Its culture orients around its Catalonian and Spanish roots, and the city’s spirit is spritely, passionate, and colorful. Much of the city embraces the arts, and museums, galleries, fairs, and festivals proudly host Barcelona’s creative scene. Whether you’re strolling down a sidewalk, sitting in a square, exploring with friends, or commuting to and from the place where you volunteer, you’re likely to witness some of Barcelona’s most stunning sights and electric culture.
What Should I See and Do While I’m Volunteering Abroad in Barcelona?
There are lots of things to see and do while you’re volunteering in Barcelona, and ultimately, you’ll have to follow your interests. However, we can give you a sense of some of the city’s most treasured places and activities, Here are some of the many things to see and do:
- Enjoy Barcelona’s music scene. Whether you dress up for a night at the opera, join friends at the discoteca, or sip coffee while enjoying live music, you’re likely to enjoy Barcelona’s rhythmic and beat-based scene.
- Visit Barcelona’s UNESCO World Heritage Sites (such as Gaudi’s Casa Mila, Casa Vicens, and La Sagrada Familia) and other famous architectural wonders such as the Palau de la Música Catalana and the Torre Agbar.
- Witness the original works of Picasso at the Museu Picasso and Els Quatre Gats, the latter of which was once a treasured gathering spot for famous artists and explore Barcelona’s history at the Museu d’Historia de Barcelona, the MUHBA El Call, the Temple d’August, and the Born Centre Cultural.
- Scour the city for nineteenth-century architect Antonio Gaudi’s most treasured works such as Casa Batlló and La Pedrera. Add a break to your scavenger hunt by having lunch or a drink at Gaudi’s Parc Güell.
- Head to the El Raval, one of Barcelona’s most diverse communities, to enjoy tapas, music, and local shops. Or, walk along La Rambla walkway to witness some of Barcelona’s treasured historical buildings and a fantastic view.
These are just some ideas to get you started on your great adventure!
How Do I Find a Volunteer Abroad Program in Barcelona, Spain?
Your Barcelona study abroad experience is likely to be enhanced by a volunteering component of the program. Plus, some volunteer abroad programs offer an opportunity to earn academic credit. All in all, you could walk away from your volunteering abroad program having made a difference, knocked out some academic credits, and enjoyed an adventure.
You can browse your options for volunteer abroad programs in Barcelona on this page. Click on Volunteer in Barcelona programs you find interesting and, when you find one you like, contact it for more information or to register. If you find several you like, don’t hesitate to contact each one—with so many great Volunteer in Barcelona options, we know it can be difficult to choose. Enjoy your exploration and adventure!