Learn why Paris may be the right study abroad destination for you
When considering the most beautiful and unique features and characteristics of Paris, it is not difficult to identify at least 10 awesome reasons to study in Paris.
- Three colleges and universities in Paris are ranked within the top 115 higher education institutions in the world by QS World University Rankings. Ecole normale supérieure, Paris, Ecole Polytechnique, and Université Pierre et Marie Curie offer high quality programs in the liberal arts, sciences, technology, and medicine. These and other well-respected schools provide excellent options for students who want to study abroad in Paris.
- People in the city of Paris are on the leading edge in many regards. Business professionals, politicians and political scientists, researchers, scientists, artists, fashion designers, and others are often amongst the most respected and well-known locally, regionally, and globally. By studying abroad in Paris, you can join the ranks of people making their mark on the global scene.
- Paris provides a haven for intellectuals and artists alike. Paris evades the stereotypes of stuffy intellectuals and wacky artists and instead proves to be an environment in which every kind of person can radiate talent and thrive.
- Paris is visually stunning. If stimulation is something you desire on a daily basis, Paris is a great place for you. The city is brimming with colors, textures, shapes, and designs that reach into your soul and tickle your heart strings. A daily walk will reveal to you the many visually stunning aspects of Paris in seemingly ordinary neighborhoods, well-traversed tourist destinations, or simple street corners. Paris is indeed a sight to behold.
- Parisian cuisine is amongst the most beloved in the world. When it comes to Parisian cuisine, there are numerous ways to enjoy it. First, you might simply wander down Paris’ streets, ducking into cafes and restaurants to enjoy some of the country’s most delicious meals. Pan au Chocolat, Croque Monsieur, crepes, escargot, Brandade de Morue, and Clafouti aux cerises are all must-tries. Second, you might consider taking a food tour in and around Paris to explore and learn about regional cheeses, wines, dishes, and specialties. Finally, you might enroll in cooking classes and learn how to prepare Parisian cuisine from the comfort of your own home (making you a likely favorite amongst your hungry friends!).
- Paris’ atmosphere is as rich as its delicious food. With every step you take in Paris, you’ll be overcome by its rich and vibrant atmosphere. The city’s sounds, smells, sights, and sensations all come together to create a sensational experience—one not soon to be forgotten.
- Paris, itself a big city, is surrounded by beautiful French countryside. We all need a break from stimulation now and again and Paris is just a heartbeat away from beautiful, peaceful, relaxing countryside. When you study abroad in Paris, you’ll enjoy the intrigue and stillness of urban and rural culture alike.
- Paris is home to some of Europe’s most famous museums, landmarks, and monuments. As a study abroad student, you are encouraged to tap into your inner tourist! Many study abroad Paris programs give students the option to visit key places such as the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, the National Museum of the Renaissance, and others as a part of their programs. Other students visit such sights on their own. Whether you tour Paris en mass or solo, you’ll be free to visit some of the world’s most beloved places when you study abroad in Paris.
- Speaking, reading, writing, and comprehending French are great skills to have in your repertoire of abilities. Being accomplished in French will enhance your resume and prepare you to work in a number of countries throughout the world where French is spoken or in demand. It is also one of the official languages of many international entities (such as the United Nations) and can help prepare you to work in many international and multinational capacities.
- Paris provides a delicious refuge and safe haven for people with the best of multiple personalities. The city is at once vibrant and peaceful; stimulating and nurturing; intelligent and creative. The city itself has a wonderfully mixed personality with no one component taking precedence. If you want to explore your own dynamic personality, Paris is a great place for you.
Annie Rose Stathes is a Colorado-based writer, teacher and political scientist. Her background is in international affairs and she holds a Master of Arts degree in Political Science.