If you’re going to study a language—whether Spanish, Catalan, English, or another one—why not do an intensive language program in the fabulous city of Barcelona? If this sounds appealing to you, you’ve come to the right place. Intensive language programs in Barcelona enable you to study another language while enjoying the sights, sounds, and experiences of a city brimming with historic and creative character.
How Are Intensive Language Programs in Barcelona Structured?
Intensive language programs typically offer students an opportunity to speak, read, write, and listen to a language on a regular basis. In some programs, students come together daily or multiple times per week to engage in coursework and exercises with classmates and language instructors in the classroom. In other programs, students merge their classroom studies with structured excursions, homestays, and other opportunities that enable them to explore and enjoy Barcelonan sights and culture. Students might live and study language in Barcelona for weeks, months, or even a semester. They might study a language broadly—at beginning, intermediate, or advanced levels—or study an area of a language specifically, such as that used in a particular industry such as education, medicine, or tourism. No matter the structure of intensive language program you choose, you’re likely to enjoy an adventure in Barcelona.
Tell Me about Barcelona. What’s It Like?
Barcelona is located on the northeast coast of Spain in the Iberian Peninsula. It’s the capital city and province of Catalonia, Spain and resides between the Collserola Mountains and the Mediterranean Sea. It shares borders with Aragon and Valencia, two autonomous communities in Spain, and France. Barcelona is the second most populous city in Spain after Madrid.[i]
Barcelona is a stunning and dynamic city. Its roots stem from Catalonian and Spanish influences, and its environment brims with pride, passion, celebration, and creativity. Modern amenities, buildings, and neighborhoods blend with age-old architecture and landmarks to create a city that’s stable and growing at once. Its artistic flare and obvious devotion to celebration of and honor for its history and culture make it a vibrant and stimulating place to stay. You might find evidence of Barcelona’s culture in its local fairs, festivals, galleries, and museums; musical venues that boast beats from local and live talent, operas, and discotecas; and pedestrian-friendly streets that weave through neighborhoods and alongside trendy cafes, boutiques, and corner parks. You’ll likely notice that many neighborhoods are woven together with castles, famous architecture, modern marvels, and beloved world heritage sites. The city is indeed a stunning one.
Things to Do in Barcelona:
- Head to the El Raval, one of Barcelona’s most diverse communities, to listen to music, eat great food, and explore local shops. .
- Dive into Barcelona’s history at the Museu d’Historia de Barcelona, the MUHBA El Call, the Temple d’August, and the Born Centre Cultural.
- Share tapas (small dishes of food, much like appetizers) with friends at sidewalk cafes or drink café con leche as you wander the streets. Alternatively, walk up the La Rambla walkway and witness some of Barcelona’s treasured historical buildings.
- Explore the works of Antonio Gaudi, a nineteenth century architect who designed Barcelona’s Sagrada Familia, Parc Güell, Casa Batlló, La Pedrera, and others. His works are stunningly unique and add flavor and intrigue to Barcelona’s cityscape.
- Witness the works of Picasso at the Museu Picasso and Els Quatre Gats, a once-favorite gathering spot for famous artists.
How Can I Find an Intensive Language Program in Barcelona?
We give you access to numerous programs to learn Spanish, Catalan, English, and other languages in Barcelona, Spain. Simply browse through your options to find the perfect program based on your goals and desires. As you’ll see, you have many options in terms of duration, intensity, and intention. When you find a program you like, contact it directly for more information or to sign up. Perhaps there’s no better time than now to engage in a Barcelona study abroad experience! Your adventure awaits.