- Munich, Germany
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
- JYM students are enrolled at the LMU Munich, with access to the full curriculum (except law and medicine). JYM assists students with selecting university coursework appropriate to their level and language abilities. JYM provides German language instruction and offers area studies courses at the JYM Institute for students on the program. Most students take a combination of university and JYM courses. All instruction is in German. Undergraduate research and internship opportunities are available. JYM actively assists alumni find jobs or obtain fellowships after graduation for which German language proficiency and intercultural experience are required. With 3800 alumni (including best-selling author Jonathan Franzen) from 500 US colleges and universities, JYM students acquire truly meaningful global competency credentials, and become part of a distinguished tradition going back to 1953, when JYM became the first junior year abroad program in postwar Germany.
- Setting Description:
- Rated the world's most livable city and the No. 1 university city in Germany, Munich offers the best of all worlds: old world culture, robust city life, and just an hour from the Alps! Modern innovation and Bavarian tradition come together in Munich like nowhere else in Germany. Munich may be a big city, but it is famous for its small town feel and ideal location. Students live in the popular Studentenstadt with the Englischer Garten as their backyard. Bicycle paths and public transportation make it very easy to get around town.
- Not only has JYM consistently remained one of the most affordable study abroad programs in Germany, the program awards $60,000 in JYM scholarships annually. All full year students are eligible to apply for JYM scholarships.
Additional Program Information
- 2 years college-level German or the equivalent; "B" average grade in German courses; overall GPA 3.0; letter of recommendation from German faculty member; home school approvals
- Scholarships Description:
- JYM awards $60,000 in program scholarships annually; scholarships are primarily based on financial need.
Based on 3 Reviews
- JYM is a must!06/16/16
If you are super confident in your German skills and going abroad, JYM is perfect for you! If you are a little nervous about your German or going abroad, JYM is perfect for you! If you can't imagine going abroad and are somewhat terrified at the thought
of being thrown into a study abroad program, JYM is perfect for you! I was in the Junior Year in Munich program for the 2008-2009 academic year, and I cannot imagine that there is a better program out there for any student at any level. The process to get there is very well organized, with VISAs and living accommodations taken care of you. Once you arrive and begin classes, you can study at either LMU or TUM, which means that you are almost guaranteed to find courses that will transfer back. If you are nervous about jumping into courses at a German university, JYM also offers in-house classes. You can mix your schedule up with some of each. (And they help you figure out enrollment in the university courses!) As far as housing goes, you live in the Studentenstadt, which is a center of student life in Munich. Grocery stores are easily accessible by foot, bus, and subway, and there is a restaurant, convenience shop, and multiple bars in Studentenstadt itself. The area is also right next to the English Garden. Previous students will sell "packages" of cooking supplies, bedding, bicycles, etc. to students coming in, so no need to worry about buying pots or pans right away! I still have friends that I consider to be best friends from my year abroad. JYM thinks of everything and gives you the ability to be as independent (or dependent) as you need to be when you are studying. Munich is a travel hub with an international airport and train station as well as home to the Octoberfest (see picture). Choosing JYM is something you will be grateful for for the rest of your life.read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend
- JYM gave me the best year of my life.06/16/16
I'm 71 years old and spent my junior year in Munich in the academic year 64-65. It was a memorable experience spent with some outstanding students from all over the U.S. I am still in touch with German friends I made there, and travel with them when I
visit Germany. It was the greatest year of my life, and I cherish my fond memories. I learned far more than I could ever have learned by staying in the U.S. my junior year. I highly recommend this program. I'm sure it has improved over the years, although it was great 50 years ago.read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend
- Junior Year In Munich- Best Year of my Life!06/16/16
This program not only helped my German language immensely, but also it provided me the opportunity to connect with and make life long friends that I still keep in touch with to this day. The program staff provides truly excellent support, I can't say
enough about how great they all are. When a loved one of mine passed away during my time abroad, I felt like my needs were met and exceeded, and that everyone truly cared! That was important to me, and that is one of the many reasons why I recommend this program to anyone willing to learn and experience all that Munich has to offer!read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend