- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Program Description:
Half the world's population now lives in cities, and in a few decades from now the world urban population will be larger than the entire global population today. This wave of urbanization affects an unprecedented number of people. It brings great opportunities, but also raises important societal and policy challenges.
The course will lead you through the economic forces that drive urbanization and shape metropolitan areas, and will thus equip you with knowledge and skills that help answering questions such as: Why are some cities thriving, while others struggle? What types of firms and people want to cluster in space, and why? What does economic theory teach us about policy challenges that metropolitan areas face, such as crime, segregation, traffic congestion and environmental pollution? The course combines lectures with field work and excursions in and around Amsterdam. One of the most ethnically diverse cities in the world, capital of one of the most densely populated countries in the world, and an international economic and trade center ever since the 17th century.
- Setting Description:
- With over 180 unique nationalities, Amsterdam is a melting pot of cultures and embraces different cultures, religions, and lifestyles. 165 canals criss-cross the entire city, giving it its nickname ‘Venice of the North.’ The city also features more bikes than inhabitants! With a bustling creative industry, Amsterdam offers plenty of cultural activities and events throughout the year. In Amsterdam you can benefit from the advantages of a big city with enough quiet spots to kick back and relax.
- 1000 EUR. The tuition fee includes: • Airport pick-up service • Welcome goodie bag • Orientation programme • Course excursions • On-site support • Emergency assistance • Transcript of records after completion of the course
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- The VU Amsterdam Summer School offers ten scholarships that cover the full tuition and housing fees of one course. Information about how to apply for the scholarship will be posted on the VU Amsterdam Summer School website.
Based on 1 Reviews
- The Economics of Vibrant Cities07/17/17The summer program is awesome and a life changer. The staffs and professors are very friendly and what I have learned in this course is very helpful for the future.Bottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend